Bambi in the Bush

I snagged this pose of one of a new crop of deer right now. He was cruising thru our backyard early yesterday morning. He was very close for the glass I was using thus the portrait framing vs. full body.

Specific Feedback Requested

Cropping okay?

Technical Details

D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/1000th, f 8.0, 405mm, ISO 6400, AI Clear, cropped to 2524 x 2680

2 Likes

Adorable, Dave. Lucky you to have them so close. The crop looks good to me, as it is a bit more dramatic making the deer appear as though he moving through the scene.

Oh what a cutie patootie. They are so cute at this stage. Those ears! Is this a mulie or a white tail? I don’t know the differences when they’re this small. You could crop further if you wanted, eliminating the sunlight on the back and just having it on the face (ears!) and that could be even more dramatic than this. Maybe give hint of how s/he’ll look all grown up. 1:1 or a vertical orientation would do it and keep the vegetation. Sweet little thing.

It is a California blacktail (a type of mule deer). Thanks for your suggestions. Appreciate ya.

Guess I missed this one, Dave. Certainly a cute little rascal, and nicely processed. I’m with @Kris_Smith; you could crop tighter, if you have a mind. Congrats on the EP. Well done.