Barred Owl Hunting

I watched this Barred Owl hunting last night and he/she finally came in close enough for a photo. I had to shoot between tree limbs and leaves to get the photo.
I think the brighter background gives the owl a bit of a spooky look. This was taken around 7PM with the sun getting low in the sky highlighting the background.

Specific Feedback Requested

Is there anything I can do to improve the image?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 90D
ISO 1600
F6.3
1/500 shutter
Sigma 150-600C @ 562mm
Taken from my car window with a bean bag support.
The background was darkened a bit and the owl was lightened just a bit and sharpened. Neat Image was used to clean up ISO noise.

2 Likes

Brian: I think this image has some great potential. I like the concept and I understand it was taken with the sun getting low in the sky.

I think the background overpowers the owl and would darken it more and at the same time add more light to the owl. I did a little adjustment and came up with this version.

See what you think.

A nice catch and a great job sneaking through the branches to get this, Brian. There’s an interesting difference between your post and Keith’s version. I actually like both of them, but they convey distinctly different feelings for me. If I were processing it blind, I think I’d probably end up somewhere between the two.

Thankyou Keith. I will definitely give it a try. This is how I learn.

Thank you Dennis. I will try Keith’s version and some where in between.

Definitely one of your best images. I really like the pose, perch, eye contact, and detail levels. I would be very pleased to have an image like this in my collection. Both the image that Keith revised in your own image are excellent. Good job!

Hi Brian
It is fun to watch a bird work in nature and then come in range for the photograph. Very cool look at this Barred Owl.
Peter

Thank you David. I have a lot to learn.

Thank you Peter. Watching the owl hunt made for an interesting night.

Wonderful to be able to catch this moment! I love the brown-against-gold, and the over the shoulder look right at you.

1 Like

Thank you Diane, given my situation I was lucky to get this photo. I was in my vehicle with an occasional car passing through and the owl did not stay very long.