Bathing Starling

Starlings can be quite striking when their iridescent colors are showing. The inflight motion of large flocks can also be dramatic. They can also overwhelm native birds in North America, as hordes will descend and empty my feeder in a couple of hours. In spite of this shot, it has been challenging to get only one bathing Starling at a time. (I have shots with as many as 7 Starlings bathing in a group.) [7D2, 100-400 @ 321, 1/2000 s, f/9, iso 3200, tripod]

1 Like

Hi Mark! Nice action shot! Love the water flying off the starling! Such great details in the bird too!

Hello, Mark. It is definitely a challenge to keep the Starlings, English Sparrows, and House Finches off the feeders to allow our native birds access. Nevertheless, this is a terrific capture of the bathing Starling. Love the detailed action. Nice work!

Fantastic captured, Mark. Love the action and the colors you’ve gotten in the background. Great detail in the Starling and also an amazing amount of color. Very nicely seen and executed

This is a great bathing image and the Starling is in wonderful plumage, Mark. Very well done. I remember being in downtown Seattle late one evening for a meeting and all the trees on the street I was on were filled with Starlings. We have flocks in the country where we live, but my wife’s persistence has kept them pretty much at bay on our property.

All said above – wonderful colors and great detail in the bird. I love the splashes!

They visit our area after the grape harvest and feast on the leftovers in the vineyards. At other times I rarely see them.