Beariscope

I just returned from leading a workshop in Katmai NP Alaska. Each year I go, it’s an amazing “bucket list” experience and one that I treasure. Photographically, I’ve gotten most of the standard bear shots and I can’t tell you how many images I have of bears just standing in river or ripping apart salmon. Not that I’m jaded on the experience, I LOVE the experience, but after a few years, photographically there’s only so much I can do unless the animal is exhibiting some unique behavior that I haven’t captured before.

On this trip, I set a challenge for myself to come home with some images that are new and unique to me, shots that I can be excited and proud about. For those curious, when the bears are in the river, they often have their eyes underwater looking for salmon to catch. They will generally keep their ears out of the water (they don’t like wet ears apparently) and just have the eyes below the surface. I’ve always liked this behavior and have quite a few shots of them doing this and coming up with fish.

On this particular day, this one bear would put his head underwater and walk along, pushing a big “bow wave” ahead of it. The shape and size of the wave was unique and I enjoyed trying to capture the essence of that. For this shot though, before the bear put its head underwater, it walked along with just its snout underwater. I fired off a sequence of shots and selected this one to process. The combination of the bear color and texture, plus the aqua color of the water really made this a unique shot for me.

Specific Feedback Requested

What do you think about this compositionally? Does it speak to you? As I said, I’m looking things “unique to me” and it may not resonate with you and that’s OK! Any thoughts on the tonality across the image or things I could do to improve it? Thanks!!!

Technical Details

Fujifilm X-T3
Fujinon XF100-400
f/6.4
1/640

6 Likes

I like this very much. As you said, something very different for sure. The “intimate” details are really nice. That said, I do wish for a bit more room in the image. I don’t know if this is full frame or a crop. So cool that you worked to find and execute such a unique image.

1 Like

I am not a wildlife photographer, but to me you have for sure succeeded creating a unique image. You immediately start thinking about what the bear is doing! The technical aspects are just great and the crop works for me.

1 Like

I love the image and mostly the crystalline appearance of the water in motion. Crispy and beautiful with the bear’s head by it.

1 Like

John, this is a very cool image. And very different, way to go finding something unique. Well done.

Thank you so much David!

it is full frame, not cropped. I was shooting handheld and the sequence was very short, I had to grab what I could. Glad you like, thanks for the comment.

Wow, John. I can’t imagine anyone that wouldn’t connect with this image. It’s amazing. I have never seen an image quite like this. You mention the ubiquitous images of bears in streams, ripping the salmon apart and that’s the image I think we have all seen before but this is truly unique. Mission accomplished. A little more room if you have all the way around would be great if there’s not something poking in on the edge that’s objectionable. Other than that, great capture.

I would find a contest to enter this in.

1 Like

Thank you so much David for the kind words. I’m glad the image hit the mark with you like it did with me. It is something a bit different and well as more connective than a standard wildlife shot. Agreed, I wish there was just a bit more room around the bear, but I was shooting handheld and barely caught this moment…so I have to be happy with what I have :slight_smile: Thanks again for the comment!

The bears up there are everything! Love the name and how you captured the silliness the bears can display. I think you nailed an unusual shot that isn’t seen and I say bravo to that!

Thanks Julie!!! Yes, the bears are amazing and I continually sit in awe at the range of behaviors I see from them, especially when they are an apex predator up there. Someone once said to me “there is a little bit of Lab in each bear” and I couldn’t agree more. Watching them play with sticks, play with each other, just being silly, it’s amazing!

Glad you liked the shot!

Hi John !
You’ve managed to capture a stunning moment with solid techs !
I really like how the turbulence of bow wave contrasts with intensity of eyes, a touch more room at the bottom would have been better, but it works very well as it is.
Cheers :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

You definitely have a unique shot here, John! I’ve seen literally thousands of Katmai bear photos and never seen one focusing on this behavior or this particular scene! Great job of capturing the action also. The large version is particularly impressive as it shows off the excellent detail and has a lot more presence. It makes me feel as if I’m swimming right beside the bear! Exposure and colors are excellent also. Great job! :+1: :clap:

PS: I love your title also!

1 Like

Great image; love the expression on the bears face, and the sharpness of the image. congratulations!

Thank you Fritz! I also love the color of the water in this, that aquamarine color…really goes nicely with the color of the animal.

It certainly does! Well done. Love the expression on the bear’s face.

1 Like

Not only is this a great photo with an interesting story, but for me it would win a prize for “Title of the Year”!

1 Like