Bedtime for Baby Barn Owls II

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

As I mentioned in my last post, I planned on going out to see if I could photograph this youngster in the evening in hopes it would have its eyes open. I did so, but it didn’t. It had moved up the tree a foot or so and was facing in a different direction and had mottled evening light on it through the branches of the tree that made for a somewhat difficult exposure. This one was from the third and last shooting position I tried.

Specific Feedback

Most of the processing done on this one was in LR because most of it involved taming the dappled light. I started by bringing shadows up and highlights down as well as a slight reduction in overall exposure. I used the local adjustment brush to tame overly bright areas after that. I did use PS for cropping, applying a freehand vignette, bringing out the texture in the bird’s feathers, and creating the border.

I’m particularly interested in knowing whether the blue background is a problem and if I missed controlling any of the many distracting elements.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 @ 600mm, monopod with Sidekick head, f/63, 1/1250, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped from a vertical original to 4637x6956. Taken on June 29th at 7:52 PM under sunny skies.

1 Like

Dennis, I am so enjoying this series of images you’ve posted of these young owls. Since I am not an avian photographer it is hard to critique. However, I do love the feel of this little one. He seems so content where he is. The environment that surrounds him is perfect and the detail in his feathers is wonderful. What a great experience for you to be able to witness this process. Thanks for sharing with us.

Hi Dennis - excellent image. You handled the dappled light very well and the BG is pleasing. Details and exposure on the bird is well done also. I just notice the owl and the rest seems complimentary to me. Nice frame!

This is a beautiful photo. I think you know I cannot help with post-processing advice. I just want to say this has a stained glass effect to it, I think because of the contrasting warm and cool tones, which is very pleasing.

I think you handled the processing very well, Dennis. A fun shot, even with its eyes closed. For me, the blues and greens compliment the brown of the owl. Nice

1 Like

Outstanding detail and color. You are so lucky to have something this close to your home. Both this and the other owl image is really well seen and done.

1 Like

I just love your baby owl series, Dennis. I think this one is my favorite. Love the lighting and the colors. I like it with the blue sky background better than overcast. It has a very peaceful feeling to the whole image.

I’m just catching up on your owlet series, Dennis - this is my favourite. I love how it fills the frame, and I’m fine with the blue BG. Great to see them so big and elegant now.