Bedtime for Baby Owls

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I posted an image of one of this owlets siblings (I think it’s a different one) yesterday. This morning I didn’t see any owlets on their box, though Michelle stayed up late and said she saw at least two of them exercising and one on the ground. At this stage they’re starting to leave the box and spend days perched in a tree, so when I went out to fill bird feeders this morning in a clump of firs near the owl box, I stopped to look around on the chance one was using that area. This one was perched about 10 feet up in a fir right next to my little ground pool. It was apparently quite tired from its overnight exertions and never really opened its eyes. I’m hoping to go out later this evening and find it in the same location (or at least nearby). The light is unlikely to be cooperative, but it might pick a workable angle.

Specific Feedback

Does the white sky (morning overcast) to the right create too much of a problem?

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 @ 207 mm, Monopod with Sidekick head, f/6.3, 1/500, iso 4000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Noise reduction using the LR AI system followed by Neat Image in PS. Cropped from a horizontal original to 3159x4516. Taken at 8:03 AM this morning.

5 Likes

Hi Dennis, really great capture - love the sleepy owl against the tree with the greenery adding an extra bonus. I wouldn’t worry about the white sky. Fine details on the bird. Colors look good too. Well done.

Really cute image, Dennis. The baby owl looks so comfy and secure. I honestly didn’t even notice the sky until you pointed it out. You got such great detail in the owl and tree that that’s where my eyes went straight to. I think the sky is subdued enough that it doesn’t detract. That must be so much fun to get to watch them grow up and explore! Beautiful photo!

Love the exposure on the owl @Dennis_Plank . You have captured it in a delicate pose.
I am sure you tried bringing down the sky exposure some

The presence of the green foliage adds an intersting element

It would be a slightly “better” image without the bright sky, but I’m not gonna quibble with an owl shot this nice. I’ve lived here more than twenty years, almost daily/nightly hearing owls all around me and have yet to be able to get a photo. Everything appears spot-on, and the greenery of that fir tree adds a beautiful touch to the photo. Well done.

Wonderfully sensitive capture, Dennis. I never even noticed the sky until you mentioned it. The portrait of the owl is so powerful for me, I can’t take my eyes off of him. Nicely seen.

An owl picture, no matter the sky, is a keeper, for me, if I ever get to capture one, Dennis. This is adorable.

Very impressive. Enjoyable composition and amazing colors. Well done

So cool – wonderful detail and light!! He does look like he had a hard night. Hope to see some more results with these guys before they move away. Owls are my nemesis. (Well, one of many…)

Thanks for the backstory on this, Dennis! :slight_smile:

I really like the pose and the textures. The light looks natural to me.

I like how the fir needles are framing it’s right eye, too!

Maybe it’s just me but that one feather on it’s left wing appears to ready to fall off.

Beautiful creature captured with skill.

Definitely has a nice artistic appearance.

I love this. Such a sweet look at a kind of intimate moment for the bird. Not hunting or squabbling or even flying, but down time. Yeah, there’s open sky there, but who cares? I’m so glad it stuck around for you to catch this. Very cool.