Bee Busy

I went out to my garden this morning and shot this. I loved how the one pedal of the flower curved up and framed the bee a little. All views, comments and critiques are welcome.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Does the selective focus work okay, with not all of the bee in focus, especially his face?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

The composition work, with the curled pedal showing a little bit of green in the background?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Shot with Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 180 mm L macro lens, handheld, settings manual (except ISO auto), at f8, 1/1250, ISO 800. Edited in LR and Topaz AI Clear. Slight crop from top left for better composition.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Shirley, this is wonderful. I love how the colors of the flower are reflected in the bee. And his eye is so sharp . . . .and penetrating. Yes, the little upturned petal adds a nice fun touch. Great capture.

1 Like

Shirley, this is a great, “yellow glow” view. The color coordination between the bee and the flower looks great. That single upturned petal is a special bonus that has me smiling. The dof looks fine to me.

1 Like

Hi Shirley, gotta agree with Linda and Mark, a very nice take on a bee doing what bees do. Your selective focus certainly drew my eyes right to his head and the wonderful details you caught; can almost count his hairs. And my what big eyes you have Mr. Bee! I’m thinking he liked the upturned petal for a little bit of privacy while going about his work :laughing:. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Hi Shirley,

This worker bee is approaching the end of her life. As honeybees age, the hairs that cover their bodies wears away and her prothorax is sparsely covered. Comp and colors are ideal and the honeybee is nice and sharp. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Hi Shirley, I’ll echo the positive comments here. Fine critical focus on the eye, pleasing color, and added interest in the upturned petal. Well done!

1 Like