Before vanishing

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

During the flash of winter we actually had this year, I headed to my favorite spot on the Prairie river to see what I could find before the clouds moved in. This slice of the landscape caught my attention, but it was when a breeze blew the snow off the trees that the real essence was revealed. I think I actually laughed out loud because it was just wonderful being in these little snow showers. And I managed to avoid getting any on the front of the lens. Bonus.

Specific Feedback

It’s not really traditional in terms of composition, but I like the partial frame, the shower of snow, the light and the shady background. Thoughts?

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for a vertical crop, wb adjustment and a push of the sliders for more contrast. Used a couple of masks to isolate the snow falling and the light through the front and back of the scene. Healing brush for some distraction removal. What couldn’t be done there was in Photoshop.

3 Likes

So cool!! (Figuratively, but also obviously literally.) Nature’s own texture layer!

I love the hints of very pretty shapes in the BG, with the shoreline leading back in halting steps. The midground branches frame the mysterious distant scene so well. The snow plastered on the trunks is lovely, as is their hint of color. For my taste, their closeness to the edge creates more tension n the scene than I want – it feels so peaceful otherwise. The fact that they bend away from the scene adds to that feeling. But maybe there are distractions there in the wider scene, so I can happily settle for this lovely scene.

1 Like

Thanks @Diane_Miller - I tried messing with wider crops, but there is a big tangle of dark branches hanging down just to the left of these trunks and I didn’t want to try to have to deal with it in Photoshop, so I just cropped it. It is a little odd, but maybe it suits the dramatic snow shower? I don’t know…I have another weird view I took a few minutes before this and I’m not sure that one works either, but they do in concert with other images from the area/day to round out the story of the place. We’re back to bare ground and above freezing temps. If it was a normal winter the rain we’re having today would have been a nice snowstorm.

I thought I had commented on this image, but apparently only in my head. Congrats on the EP! I’m glad it reminded me that I hadn’t.

I love the transition from clarity in the two foreground trees, to the mysterious depth behind. (Your title eludes to that nicely.) It’s like two images in one; sometimes they don’t come together well, but here they do to great effect.

Thanks @John_Williams - this one sank with barely a trace pretty quickly, so count me surprised and flattered at the EP. :blush:

I’m glad the photo works for you and the different areas of focus, light, color and shadow. It was deliberately accidental if you know what I mean. I framed up, liking the view and then when the snow fell it was magic.

1 Like

That’s so funny @John_Williams. I did the exact same thing. I thought I had commented on this one and then I saw the image posted at the top o the landscape category as an EP winner so I’m back here to check it out. Dang it, I’m getting forgetful. LOL
Without reading your story first, I thought this was during a serious snowstorm. It was only after I had read your thread that I found out this was from the tree branches themselves doing a little shake for you. Perfect timing on your part to grab a shot during the shakedown. And good of you to laugh at what nature presented to you. I love it. And, no snow on the lens. Woo hoo!!
I think what really catches my eye is the warm tree trunks in the foreground contrasting so vividly with the cool, blue magenta of the background. It sets the tone for the entire image and it’s what makes it pop. The fact that the trees are leaning a little bit to the left creates a little bit of tension but I understand that more canvas on the left didn’t work because of branches. Nothing you could do about that. But I also like that the leaning trees seem to be held up by that right leaning background tree on the left edge of the frame. It seems that those trees are playing off each other and I like that little bit of story.
Love the happy story and that you captured this before it vanished. Maybe you’ll get one more cold spell and get some snow before Winter is over. I’m hoping for you, Kris!

1 Like

Thanks @David_Haynes - I’m glad you came back for such a long and detailed reaction to the photo. I’ve found over the years that if I choose to go out in less than moderate weather, I need to honestly enjoy it and feel that rain/snow/wind, whatever is making me go out in the first place. Sometimes laughing is the perfect response. What kind of a nut would be out in this??

I wished for more winter, but not at this point - mid-March is too late to start if we haven’t even begun. I noticed a Flicker out back today and some Grackles, so spring needs to stay around, especially if the Phoebes show up early. Already the Trumpeters have moved on to their nesting sites and usually they are still around and ice out is normally just beginning. So everything is weird this year and I hope we just move into an early spring and maybe I can get a few more weeks of kayak weather.

1 Like

This pic jumped out at me, it has nice “impact!” Initially, I thought the trees were Aspens, but upon opening the image I saw the snow. Very nice!

Thanks much @Kristal_Kraft - we didn’t get much snow this year so this is extra special. Glad you enjoyed it.