Beneath

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

What emotions does this evoke.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This was shot during one of my walks along a creek bank in Idaho. I found myself drawn to this subterranion world. I worked quite a bit to separate the fine bright roots from the shadowed area below them.

Technical Details

GFX50R, 45-100mm, f/11, 1/15sec, iso through the roof

Specific Feedback

I am interested in any feedback.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

I like this one. The yellowish-green color is oddly appealing. Because I’m not quite sure what I’m seeing, there’s an air of mystery.

Igor, a beauty of an other world in a nice composition. I like the atmosphere (feeling) it brings me. No nits, it’s too beautiful work of you !

Igor, you’ve got a good sense of inviting mystery here. I especially like how the dangling branches(??) obscure but don’t hide the intriging rocks behind.

I really like the colors and light in this image Igor. You have a great touch for framing the image, top, sides and bottom with angles and elements. I like the one little curly root(?) that dangles into the frame and is well separated from the BG. Your images really help me think about how to see and frame these kinds of scenes.

This is very similar in many ways to an image that I just completed in post. I like yours for the reasons I am also drawn to this kind of image - the primordial nature of it - the mystery, and the drama of shadow and subdued light. The colour palette really works to enhance the primordial feel - the greens and yellows. It is so evident that you composed this image and worked with it in post with a clear intention. You’ve succeeded admirably in establishing a mood, which I am very on about of late. Well done.

Finds from the Stone Age. The semi darkness for the light and the beautiful neutral colors are the things that I like most. Splendid work Igor.

A view into the world below – I like this very much. The textures and colours of the rocks are really lovely and I love how the hanging twigs and roots connect this image back to the above ground world that we know so well. I feel as though those roots and twigs act as a metaphorical tether that keeps us safe while we go about exploring the wonders and beauty of the underground. Really nice work Igor!

1 Like

At first glance it felt like an underwater scene, but then the tree trunk came into focus and it felt incongruous. Primordial comes to mind; I like Giuseppe’s description of the Stone Age. I do love the rootlets hanging down; they feel like an intrusion from another world.

Igor,
Moody and mysterious; I like it. This has a primordial feel to it. I am not sure what I am looking at, but it makes me explore the whole scene and enjoy all the nuances of the stones and roots.