Suspended

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

What is your response to this image?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

The last image of the day is often the most interesting. This one lay on the sidelines for a year. It seemed to bizarre to be of interest. Until one day I decided its that quality that made it compelling. I still don’t understand why it draws me in but it definitely does. This was shot deep within the bowels of some narrow canyon where the light can’t get in.

Technical Details

GFX50R, 45-100mm, f/11, focus stacked, iso 100, 6.5 secs

Specific Feedback

I’m interested in all feedback but especially conceptual and emotional.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
3 Likes

I just love this image.
I like images that force me to ask questions, to look deeper; to understand not what it is, but what the author is telling me.
I see this image as a fusion of materials; the rock already very molded and the wood on its way to disappearing.
I particularly like the dark, bluish tones (in fact, I would have darkened the ULC a little more).
The composition with its 3 dominant lines stands out for its subtlety.
Favorite right away.

1 Like

. . . and yet there was light. I love the dark moodiness of this image overall, but I am drawn to the light on the wood. The lines as noted by @joaoquintela are exceptionally well placed in your composition. This is a clean image with amazing lighting and a wonderful combination of textures of rock and wood. Curves, and straights, and striations. It is odd how some images take time to appreciate and yet are so powerful when they catch your attention.

At first I was puzzled. I looked at the image for a while and I was still puzzled. But also intrigued, and I still am. I like this one a lot.

Igor,

By virtue of the icy blue color palette I get the sense that the wood is frozen in time as it falls but is now suspended - following your title.

Intrigued. Curious. Interested. Privileged to have seen it as it looks like it might not last long in this hanging situation. Well seen although I’m not sure the deep blue is helping feed that sense of wonder I often have with things lodged on other things without an obvious cause. The blue makes it feel staged for me and possibly created out of multiple images or AI prompts, although I know with you that’s probably not the case.

I feel a sense of suspense, of waiting for the other shoe to drop. The tenuousness of the log’s perch over that dark void doesn’t put me at ease. The strong blue color cast adds to that feeling. It’s interesting that there is such a sense of a large void for me, considering that the actual scene looks to have been rather constrained. Well done.

I remember hesitating in taking this image. I was all packed and hiking out when I came across this. It’s just a branch, I thought. Is it worth putting all my gear down and extending the legs of the tripod. But when I looked at the viewfinder and dropped the exposure it had that ghostly look. I decided it was worth it. Then a year went by with me thinking, it’s just a branch. They’ll think it could’ve been taken in a back yard.

I wish I hadn’t titled this image - Suspended. It’s misleading.

Hi Igor, I quite like this image you have shared with us. But the blue tones to the highlights that illuminate the log look quite unnatural to me compared to the clearer shadow to the left. Perhaps a candidate for B&W?

A lunar image fruit of your creativity. A vision that is very difficult to imagine. I love it.

Igor, the blueness and darkness creates a nice sense of mystery. I like that there I can find details in the dark if I make the effort. I also like the justaposition of the wood fragment against the water worn rock.

I really like this image. The cool colors add to the mystery and suspense of the scene. Well done and captured. Bob Engle

I like it a lot. To be honest it is the bit of wood that i find fascinating and the sombre blue tones add a sense of mystery that works well for me, but my eyes are continually and repeatedly drawn to the wormwood hieroglyphics etched into its surface.

Me too. I also like the duck mouth. I don’t know why I find it so fascinating. I don’t associate it with a duck at all.

First impression, huh? A cold evening scene, maybe close to camp, taken with the light of a full moon.

IMHO, this is a masterful scene; very nicely composed and exposed. It has a nice air of mystery to it, I love the deep shadows and overall darkness, but it’s still light enough to where the fine details are fully visible. My question - was it truly this dark, or is some of that darkness done in post production? Either way, it’s magnificent. This is an Igor Doncov image all the way!