Best bang for your buck - post processing

Hi!
If you really mean the best bang for very little bucks , I pick up used books on Amazon. Right now, am working my way through all of the Harold Davis books. These are all big paperbacks, easy to lay out next to the computer. He does do some landscape, which seems to be the main interest here .

Thanks brother - that is what I wanted to know. I will probably shoot you a message.

Lots of good suggestions here! I’ll add in another vote for TK Panel and Sean Bagshaw’s videos to start. After that, I think it really comes down to personal preference; there is so much good material out there. Pick an artist with your favorite style and throw down cash to support them and learn from them (free versions often aren’t very in-depth or they hold things back to encourage buying the paid version).

Some of the best learning I’ve done is the couple of times I’ve gone on an in-field workshop that includes a processing session. I come with an open mind, a list of questions and I take notes to make sure I get my money’s worth (and I apologize to the photographers I’ve grilled!). Buying videos can be great and is cheaper, but there just isn’t that face-to-face feedback loop you get in person.

I have a feeling we have similar taste in processing, so I would recommend supporting folks like @Alex_Noriega, @TJ_Thorne, and @Ted_Gore . And of course @mark1 for print stuff!

The most important part is really taking your time to listen actively, think critically, take notes, and connect dots in your mind. Just watching the video is not enough, in my opinion. After learning from several different people, you can see that in photoshop you can do things a million different ways. Eventually you’ll figure out your own ways of doing things.

Always happy to chat more if you’d like.

1 Like

Thanks Brent, appreciate that. Maybe I can get my man @Alex_Noriega to hook me up for some good ales. =D

2 Likes

For me it’s always been more a case of WHO than what. If I can sit down with the right person for some concentrated instruction, I’m miles ahead of anything in video or print. Best is to have it happen over the course of several days.

Not really what you had in mind I bet, but I’d sure consider a week at Santa Fe Workshops. Total immersion in a terrific setting with great instructors. Most recent hardware and software in the classes too. Here is a listing of their digital workshops, but there is a whole lot more going on there.

Every time I’ve taken a workshop there over the last 30 years, I’ve come away energized and packed with new info, along with experience in its use.

1 Like

One tip I learned years ago from Mark Johnson was using blending layers to add pop to photos. I use this technique in almost every photo I edit. Open a curves adjustment layer and on the left where it says Normal, scroll down and choose another layer type. Overlay will add pop and make highlights lighter, Multiply will add pop and darken things up a bit. After you choose the layer type, you must reduce the opacity to get the desired effect. 100% will be way too extreme. I usually end up with between 5 and 20%.

2 Likes

My Top Ten | Education is a Journey | Investing $2k/year on your education|workshop|books

1. Vincent Versace - Any Media- ‘Welcome to OZ’ - B&H Event Space
  2. Molly Bang- Picture This
  3. TK Actions| Shawn Bagshaw
  4. Jason O’dell-website
  5. John Paul Capenigro Jr- Any Media
  6. Thom Hogan-Website
  7. KelbyOne-Best Training Website-Ton of quality Instructors-Detailed Videos
  8. Moose Peterson - MLP- Captured
  9. Maine Media College-website
  10. Hudson Henry-You Tube
2 Likes

Hands down and by a mile, Dan Margulis’s “Photoshop LAB Color: The Canyon Conundrum and Other Adventures in the Most Powerful Colorspace” for me. There is a second version available now, but it was the first edition that completely opened my eyes to a new way of thinking about Photoshop. His other books are very good too.

2 Likes

Ey Matt. First thanks to introduce me to this website. Its been amazing so far. Such good input. Now in regards of tutorials. I have seen several and I can tell you the ones I liked better.

The person who I learned most at the beginning is Jimmy Mcyntire. He is very into blends and is like a PS guru. His voice really gets you trapped lol. Also he explains very well his processing and teaches you with and without the panel.

Matt Metternich lunched recently one and he is a very good teacher also. I went through his Sharpening Technic and his color balance for print. Super useful

Finally I also got Ted Gores and Enricco Fonssati but they are more into the artistic processing that I don’t know if its your style.

Hope it helps

PD: I agree with Sean Bagshaw . He is very good but goes more into editing just with the panel and I feel you dont learn that much.

I just looked at the 2nd edition and in Amazon is 1000 dollars :frowning:

Are you looking at it in pesos? It’s about 60 US dollars at Amazon. Thats what I bought it for as well. BTW I found it to be incredibly boring but it has excellent reviews.

As far as education is concerned here is another vote for KelbyOne. I do several courses a year and find them great. I also do internet searches of YouTube videos on specific topics. I also find that asking questions on forums like this one is invaluable. there are many talented photographers on NPN that can assist if asked.

@John_Williams. I agree with you about pioneer photoshop guru Dan M. book. Versace “Welcome to Oz”, pay homage to Dan M. and Vince incorporates the LAB color space into his standard process processing workflow.

Dan M. book is a must-own/must-read for anyone who makes images in the red rocks.

@Ed_Cordes Big vote for KelbyOne. Have been member going on ten years. Have attended maybe 5 conferences. There is a ton of content not only by current instructors but also by a long list of prophotog’s that ushered in the golden age of digital photography. You can’t buy that knowledge anywhere else.
You can also save via manufacture’s discounts and also B&H shipping.