Big Sky in Black and White

ORIGINAL

REWORK 1

REWORK2

Working in black and white is a whole different animal compared to working in colour. In some ways it is very restrictive but in others, it opens up possibilities that just aren’t there with colour. This image was a case in point for me. After I downloaded, I almost went right past the colour version but in doing a quick flip to B&W in Lr, as I often do, something in the bare bones of this picture grabbed my attention. This image is meant to be more impressionistic rather than naturalistic. There are leading lines everywhere such that the sky and water seem to be rapidly closing in on the horizon. I wanted the viewer to almost feel a sense of vertigo when reading this image, as though they were falling into the centre.

With this sort of image, I’m never quite sure how far to go with the contrast. The highlights in both the sky and water are just this side of being blown out. The darks in both the water and forest are also just on this side of being clipped but I could conceivably darken further in the sky. It might also be possible to push the mid tones further. Feedback both with regards to general impressions and post processing would be most appreciated.

Is this a composite: No

I quite like this, Kerry. From a processing standpoint, my tastes would appreciate a bit more of a darker, more foreboding sky and I would not mind a bit more detail in the water if it is there. That said, I do like it a lot as presented.

This is a very powerful image, I like it a lot Kerry.

[quote=“Kerry_Gordon, post:1, topic:26331”]
There are leading lines everywhere such that the sky and water seem to be rapidly closing in on the horizon. I wanted the viewer to almost feel a sense of vertigo when reading this image, as though they were falling into the centre.

To me the visual flow of this image is one of it’s biggest strengths. I don’t know if I would use the term vertigo. Instead when I view the image the ripples in the water and the shorelines create a magnetic attraction to the distant horizon. And then my eyes wander up into the radial patterns in the sky. I think this is a very effective visual flow.

I think you have gotten just the right level of detail and contrast in the trees and shoreline. I would suggest using luminosity masks to darken the darker tones in the water, to create more detail and texture in the ripples in the water (adding to the magnetic pull factor). For my taste, the sky is well handled, it’s luminosity and contrast seems well balanced with whats in the the rest of the image.

Overall this image works very well for me, a perfect scene for B&W.

1 Like

Kerry, this makes a nice “fine art” B&W image. It would look great printed and framed. I think the processing is fine with the possible exception that the sky’s reflection in the water seems brighter than the sky itself…I think I would tone that down a bit…

Nice work on catching it in B&W.

For me the image looks slightly overexposed. I think that impression comes from the water. I would darken the lighter tones in the water and perhaps the darker ones as well in order to maintain the contrast.

I agree that b&w gives you liberties that color doesn’t. I think that’s because it is an abstraction by definition and reality is less important. That’s a theory. It doesn’t hold up with impressionism though.

@Harley_Goldman , @Ed_McGuirk , @David_Bostock , @Igor_Doncov - Thank you all for your thoughts and comments. I have included two possible reworks in an attempt to address your suggestions. The second rework is the same as the first but with added burning in the clouds. I’m leaning towards the first rework but I’d appreciate your further comments or suggestions.

Put me down for rework #2 as my favorite.

I’ve been conflicted about this one from the beginning. I think Igor has addressed some of it - overexposed water. But to me it looks like it’s reaching. To be trying to do more than it can. Maybe it’s the crop. The water isn’t doing much so a crop there might help. I also feel like there aren’t enough shades of gray here. Yes, you need both black and white to make something like this work, but it feels too extreme and contrasty to me.

Of the three I prefer rework #2, but might take it further by reducing some of the contrast - maybe by taking down the clarity a bit? Hm. At least in the water, leaving the texture in the trees which is really good against the sky. They are getting lost though and shouldn’t since they’re so well exposed and have presence even under that sky.

I love the high contrast here and I love how the water looks almost metallic. your second repost with the darker clouds is spot on.