Bighorn Lamb Portrait

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I was super happy to catch this little cutie without mom so close that I couldn’t crop her out (I’ve already removed her nose and shoulder that was in the far right and cropped in a little closer on the baby). My problem is that nearly every image I have of bighorn sheep is against their favorite type of background, which allows them to blend almost to invisibility. As a result, I’m really struggling with how to bring up this mid-tone fuzzball and separate it from the mid-tone background. I’ve tried several things, but haven’t been happy with any.

Creative direction

I’ve tried both lightening and darkening the background, but that grayish tan tonality of the lamb just doesn’t pop for me. I’m looking for ideas on how to bring up the portrait without having it look artificial. I’m also frustrated that the angle of the sun kept me from catching the light in the lamb’s eye.

Specific Feedback

Any and all feedback is welcome on this one.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 7d Mark II, f9, 1/2500, ISO 400, 400 mm

Description

We were driving along Blue Mesa Reservoir near Gunnison, CO, when we saw the ewe and lamb and a couple other bighorns on a turnout. A couple cars were already parked and people watching and taking pictures. Unfortunately, because they were all using cell phones, they kept trying to get closer and were making the sheep very nervous. This was the only image I was able to catch of the lamb separate from being tight against mom’s side because I had the long lens and could stay back. Sadly, we nearly saw a tragedy as the sheep got so nervous about cars and people that they decided to run back across the road. Traffic in that area was quite heavy, and much of it was going way too fast. Mom and baby barely made it to safety before someone barreled around the curve at 70 mph.

I think the image is wonderful as is!! The baby stands out very well with its sharpness and detail and the similar color of the BG tells an important story. The BG is very pleasingly OOF so that gives great separation. You might bring up shadows a bit to add a little more tonal detail to the eye. My main suggestion is that there is nothing happening in the right half to balance the visual weight of the baby. I think you could crop halfway to the nose and add a little canvas on top.

But all in all, a wonderful moment well captured! I’m so glad they survived the idiotic tourists!

Play around with bringing out more details in the shadows for sur and crop some from the right as well. Have you tried a curves adjustment on midtones? It might perk up the warmer tones on the lamb. A cute portrait and am glad that they made it safely across the road…Jim

Denise: I wouldn’t worry a bit about the background as that’s the sheep’s natural environment. You might consider cropping in from the right as well as adding some canvas at top. Last, try bringing up the blacks on the entire scene or just the background. In any event, it’s a well seen and well taken photograph.