Ewe looking at me !

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Fun photo I got just outside of Gardiner MT. It’s a crop from this ewe with a young one off to her side.

Specific Feedback

Wondering if another back ground color would be better?

Technical Details

Nikon z9, 800mm lens, 1/500, f/9, ISO 2000, aperture priority

2 Likes

Very lovely!! Excellent light and detail, and a great pose – a perfect portrait composition. I think the BG color is just fine – it looks completely natural and the ewe stands out nicely. (Nature is often surprisingly good at providing nice color combinations.) Trying to tweak the BG color would be difficult to separate from the ewe and could easily give a cutout look.

My only (very minor) thought would be to soften the darker area in the LL corner.

Wonderful image!!

I think the bg looks entirely natural and because it’s so smooth and evenly toned, it doesn’t compete with our beautiful girl at all. She looks darn healthy - the one time I was around them it was molting season and they all looked so raggedy. Nice sharpness throughout the face and horns. A tiny bit more room to the top and left might be interesting to see, but this works pretty darn well.

I see that now… the lower left corner. It would be nice to have more contrast there from the Ewe and background. Thanks I will try that.
Sue

Wonderful portrait Sue and good job cropping to portrait. BG is perfect, showing her environment, which I always prefer. Nice turn of the head and great detail on the fur.