Bighorn Ewe on the Rocks - Recrop

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A bighorn sheep ewe from the East side of Zion NP. The herd was near the upper end of the tunnel. Bighorn sheep were reintroduced in 1978 to Zion after about forty years without them. The initial herd consisted of 14 animals. Apparently there are now over 500 sheep in Zion NP.

Specific Feedback

It would probably have been best to include the entire snag behind the ewe, or less of it. I did love the textures in the snag, but the focus was on the ewe. I did a vignette to try to draw more attention to the ewe and less to the trees and brush around it. Thank you for any comments, critiques, and especially any recommendations for this or future/similar photos, especially in the Wildlife category on NPN.

Technical Details

Canon 7DMii, f11, 1/1000 sec, iso 800, -0.7 EV, 100-400/1.4 TC at 189 mm.

Ed, this is a fine look at this ewe in the ZNP backdrop. I see your mention on the snag and can only offer up a thought of a pano style crop placing most all of the attention back on the ewe at that point. Just scrolling to a pano works best for me. The fact you left the ewe in excellent spacing front and rear makes that change simple enough…just a thought.
…it also ties into the thought of the ewe on the rocks title.

1 Like

Thank you @Paul_Breitkreuz I do like the new crop better. I just didn’t go as far because I wanted a bit more head space for the ewe.

Ed, your crop works perfectly. As you left enough room around the ewe it was an easy change for another look… :sunglasses:

1 Like

I think your original crop works fine for the wildlife category, Ed, but the uncropped composition is awesome as a straightforward image where you’re not trying to emphasize the animal.

Thank you @Dennis_Plank. I was concerned that I’d cut off too much of the snag in the original.