Billowing Fog & Repost

This is fog flowing over a cliff in southeast Iceland, June 2021. Early morning hits most of the cliff. An amazing spectacle. The only other place I’ve ever seen anything like this was on some of the hills south of San Francisco in the fog season.

the same area seen from further away.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 100, 35 to 70 at 70 mm, F8, 1250th, shot through the open window of a moving car, Sony alpha-1

Wonderful capture, David. I know those hills in south San Francesco, having grown up there. And yes, the foggy season is quite predictable. . .miss the fog horns even today.

I can see the action of that stuff tumbling over the hills – a very interesting occurrence well presented.

David, that fog is truly amazing. Easy to see why it’s a favorite.

David, I hope you won’t take my comments the wrong way but I feel you’ve pushed this image way too far in post. It is such an amazing picture, truly other worldly and the scale is incredible. Indeed, it is such a strong image that, honestly, you don’t have to work so hard in post. It is the haloing everywhere - dark halos all around the clouds and light halos around all the rock faces both against the clouds and lower right - that tells me you’ve pushed the contrast and possibly clarity and saturation (especially the blue) overmuch. I really feel that this image is worth the extra work of going back, whether in Lr or Ps, and try using a lighter touch. In this case, trust the image.

No question this was overprocessed. I was trying to make it more dramatic by using Skylum HDR program. I generally dislike HDR approaches. So here’s the original.

So, @David_Schoen , what are we looking at here - is this RAW or jpeg? I don’t know anything about Skylum but when you have a wonderful image like this one, I’d rather not be handing over my creative choices to an algorithm :wink:

jpeg
And yes, this is a better image.