Binturong

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I designed my Borneo scouting trip to try and track down some of Malaysia’s more elusive mammals, including several cat and civet species. We saw two of the five felines, but photos were very hard to come by. We did a bit better with civets, though getting photos of these mostly-nocturnal critters was equally challenging.

So this ended up being one of the highlights of the trip for me: the binturong (nicknamed “bearcat” for you Ohio folks), which is a civet that happens to be known for its popcorn smell. Seeing it during the day was quite unexpected, so I was delighted with this opportunity despite the somewhat messy background.

I posted a slightly larger-than-normal version, mainly so you could see those awesome double ear tufts. :slight_smile:

Technical Details

Canon R3
Canon 600mm
ISO 4000
1/500th
f/4
(Hand held)

1 Like

This animal has whiskers and the photo shows this off well. I might be tempted to play around with the bright highlights in the sky. …Jim

1 Like

Great subject and solid techs here !
Larger view is always welcome :slightly_smiling_face:
You managed to get a decent output inspite of so many obstacles & it is always very satisfying getting images of elusive subjects.

1 Like