Up to no good

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

That’s what this little chipmunk might have been thinking when it first spied me sitting on the ground in the side yard. I had been quietly watching the antics of these guys and some birds for maybe 40 minutes when this one got closer and saw me. For the next maybe 10 minutes it kept very still and then decided to move a little nearer. These guys use fallen branches and tree trunks as little highways and so if you position yourself near some, eventually they will come by. An advantage of my side yard is that there are many little dips and depressions that will let me get very low compared to the areas all around it and better connects me to the animals since I’m at their level. This little critter was a bit above me and I could look basically straight out from my seated position.

I shot some video and quite a few stills, but this is the best for its relative isolation from all the undergrowth and little twigs and branches. I also really liked the full cheek pouches and the sort of stage all the OOF areas created. Just after this it came even closer to me so that my lens was too long and couldn’t focus and I could have reached out and touched it if I dared. Then it went right behind me in the leaf litter to have a rummage around. Really a fun encounter that taught me quite a bit about their habits and my need to be very picky about when I fire the shutter. They’re so common that anything less than a “perfect” shot is just a waste of time and drive space.

Specific Feedback

The light was direct without any leaf canopy to filter, but I think it works ok to show the texture of the fur and the time of year. Is it too jarring?

Technical Details

Handheld sitting on a rock on the ground
Animal body/eye detect & C-AF
1 stop ND filter that was on for video work

Lr for initial processing for wb, better color and contrast & a crop. Also used the new Lens Blur tool in certain areas to soften the background. This tool is growing on me, but it is definitely more limited than the Ps version. Used masking to further even out the luminosities and bring texture and definition to the fur. When I couldn’t get the results I wanted in Lr I moved to Ps for more distraction removal and luminosity masking to further massage the background into some semblance of submission.

1 Like

I think the lighting is beautiful, Kris. “Jarring” never ever entered my mind when I first saw this cute scene. I love how clear you got the little guy, and how that contrasts with the blurry background. It sounds like you had a fun interaction!

1 Like

Not jarring at all Kris. I love the big cheeks. The light and the DOF look great.

1 Like

Total cutie! It must have been doing some serious grocery shopping. I love the story of the encounter – how cool to be in the space of these little creatures. (The big creatures – maybe not so much.) I wonder what might have happened if you had some peanuts in your pocket. How still can you sit???

Excellent detail – no issues at all with the lighting treatment.

1 Like

A lovely shot, Kris. My two cents: first, I’d burn or otherwise darken that yellow blob behind his left pouch just a bit. Second, for next time, maybe the macro lens could get the nose and mouth area even sharper - but of course he won’t follow your posing instructions! A super mix of brown tones and you dealt with the lighting so well.

1 Like

Thanks @Ed_Williams, @Diane_Miller, @Mark_Muller & @Mike_Friel - it was certainly a fun few minutes with this critter. Right now we have no leaf canopy and so the direct sun can be challenging as it was here. That bit at the back you call out Mike has been wrangled about as far as I can take it without turning a murky gray. Maybe I should try cloning it or something, but for the moment I think I’m pretty happy. One thing I’m coming to grips with is not to take just any old shot because I can always have a do over - these guys are everywhere and pretty easy to engage with. Also with my new camera the file sizes are quite big and I need to be extra strict about deleting stuff I’ll never use.

1 Like

Kris, this is a fine catch. My yard chipmunks are very wary and seen only briefly at random times of the day… The pose, with filled cheeks, is great. It stands out well from the background.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver - the chippies in the yard are pretty dopey, actually. Many times I’ve practically stepped on one because they don’t see me or register my presence as a threat. Other times they freak out at the slightest movement on my part. It’s weird, but they are lots of fun.

Kristen: I like the pose of the chipmunk and the detail in the animal. My only nit would be to burn the very bright area that the chipmunk is perched on. Very good otherwise.

Thanks @Richard_Sandor - they are so engaging it’s hard to take a bad shot of a chipmunk. The log its on is peeled and weathered and about the color you see here so I’m ok with its lightness, I did have to take it down a bit in post because it was brighter still.