Break

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

More from my chipmunk series. These guys are really fun to watch and are always doing something. This one hopped up on a favorite overlook for a snack. I filmed him more than I took stills because it’s a pain to switch back and forth because of the huge exposure changes. Once I’m set up for one, I have to not only change camera settings, but also add or remove ND filters I need for video - they are magnetic, but it still takes time and so I often have to just pick a side or I can miss action. Like when I didn’t get out in time to film a fight.

So this is one of the only stills I have of this scene, but I like it for the little open mouth and the position of his paws and tail. And the background was pretty clear for a change.

Specific Feedback

I’m open to ideas for improvement. I may sit out this afternoon if I can stand the bugs and so improved field technique ideas can be tried.

Technical Details

Handheld sitting on the ground as usual. You have to get low for these guys, but not so low that they get covered up by plants. When they’re up on rocks and stumps it’s easier for sure.

Lr for a slight crop and Denoise. The usual S-curve for luminosity. Lens correction and some boost to colors in the Calibration panel. Then I went into Photoshop to do some Smart Sharpen on a separate layer for blending. Added a blur layer to reduce the presence of a few things. Distraction removal as well - branches intruding.

Hi Kris,
this looks great. Another absolutely cute guy. He poses perfectly for the photo. He poses perfectly for the photo and stands out wonderfully from the blurry background due to his position on the rock.
I can imagine that they are fun to watch.

So, no suggestion today! But I’m curious about what’s new tomorrow from the chipmunks.

Well…on the CC Scale (Cute Critter), this one gets an ‘Aww 7+’ from me. :slight_smile:
Would have been an ‘Aww 9+’ if it were facing us :slight_smile:
The ‘+’ was added for the hooked tail laying on the rock :slight_smile:

I take it the only camera you have at the moment is the G9?

Maybe a used camera for video work so you don’t have to keep switching between video and still setups?

Another aww some critter image, Kris! :slight_smile:

Way too cute!! Wonderful sharpness, pose and perch. The BG is dreamy, but if you can get them to perch here regularly (think a smear of peanut butter?) you could play with adding a branch or two that would be artistically OOF to hint at a context.

I’d love to have some of these guys closer to me. I’d be willing to ship you a whole box of California Ground Squirrels for a couple of these critters…

Thanks @Jens_Ober, @Merv & @Diane_Miller - they are super cute aren’t they? They are Eastern chipmunks and I keep 'em around because they’re food for a lot of things. Least chipmunks come up this way, too, but I don’t know that I’ve seen one. Hard to tell from a distance which is which. We have Thirteen lined ground squirrels in Wisconsin, but I’ve never seen one, just the regular reds and grays, which do come in a black morph, too. There’s a pair of both color morphs in the yard most days.

The background is probably a lot greener now - once things start to green up, it goes fast.

I have a 10-year-old Lumix GH3 as well as the G9, but it’s not capable of shooting in 4K which I like because it allows me to zoom, crop and pan in post and I output to 1080p. Shooting in 1920 x 1080p from the get go means less resolution to play with and so that leaves out the GH3 as a video camera for me. And as a stills camera it bugs the crap out of me now that I’m used to the ergonomic dreamboat that is the G9. So, I’ve toyed with the idea of getting a second rig, but it’s not in the cards right now. Other expenses coming and I’ve spent some coin on a microphone and VNDs etc. So for now, it’s the only show in town.

I figured that was the case and I don’t blame you for wanting to shoot in 4K for post production flexibility. I feel the same way!
I have a 4K Osmo X5R from DJI that also fits on my Inspire 2 drone, that camera is usually mounted on a handheld DJI 3 axis gimbal and I have a set of magnetic VND filters as well so I can keep the shutter speed down with wider aperture openings for shallow DOF. VNDs are a must for video IMHO and the magnetic variety is a must for birds, chipmunks, outdoor sports of the grandkids, etc. so I can quickly change them in different light environments.
I usually shoot at 29 fps with the SS at 1/60s, although, sometimes I shoot at 120 fps with the SS at 1/240s for the occasional slow motion stuff.

There are so many ways to go with video, a 4K X3 Osmo can be had for $300 certified renewed with a warranty, great setup, especially handheld but we all have to stay within our budgets. There’s a few toys that I want but I’ll have to wait a while. :frowning:

Yeah, I don’t think I would want to go back to my 2014 cameras for stills either, I’m really spoiled with the newest one.

Thanks Kris! Keep up the great work!! :slight_smile:

My normal shooting mode is similar with video and yeah, magnetic VNDs are a must.

I just had a nosy around B&H’s used dept to see if any GH6s are on offer and there are a couple around the $1400 mark. I’m leaning that way because I can use all my current lenses, three of which are optimized for video. The Panny/Leica 100-400mm has a silent motor which is really good for video. Probably the P/L 50-200mm is silent as well and that would be a lovely pairing with the GH6. My Panasonic 35-100mm is a decade or more old and so is louder and you can hear the motor. If I can get the microphone further away by using a cage, that might mitigate that somewhat. Ah the complexities of digital life.

Wonderful image Kris! Really has the cuteness factor. I like the BG except for the out of focus stem coming from the edge on the right to the top of the chipmunk’s head. Should be pretty easy to take that out. Nice pose and I love seeing the full tail. Well done.

Thanks @Allen_Sparks - I’ve tried to get rid of the OOF branch there many times and absolutely nothing looked natural so I gave up. Some things I just have to live with.

Have you tried the “Edit → Content-Aware Fill…” Tool? Not to be confused with “Edit → Fill” with “Content-Aware” mode.

In the tool you can influence which areas of the image should be sampled for the fill:

Ok, you have shamed me into it. I will give it a go. Was just playing with that and the other tools for an upcoming spider momma shot, so I guess I was just too quick to judge. Silly me!

Whether these tools work depends very much on the image. Sometimes they do not deliver the desired result.

Can’t wait to see your spider momma!!!