Black Swallowtail Farm

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I tried to get as many in a frame as I could. I have about 25 caterpillar’s. It’s hard to see them all. There are ten in this shot (I think). My lighting was not as I hoped but its what I had to work with. I have to farms going one Monarch and the other Black Swallowtails. Slow process from egg to fly away but well worth the watch. Only problem is they get expensive to feed after awhile.

Technical Details

Canon 5DSR, 16-35mm , ISO way to high 6400,

John, while this isn’t what I had in mind when I came up with this theme, is does fit well. You’ve got a lot of catterpillars in the frame, which is good fun. Watching and capturing the process (as I have “in the wild”) from egg laying to flying away is great fun.

Mark, NATURE is a big word with a lot of meaning. I try to get involved in nature as well as take pictures of it. I can’t always get out into nature, so I bring it in. This way I can see and be involved in the whole process of the life of a butterfly. I
interpreted your theme to fit my picture. I don’t have the room to grow all the food they eat. To see it all happen this season has cost me over $250.00 in food (Parsley, Thyme, Fennel) for them over spring, summer and fall. To me, it’s worth it.