Black Swallowtail

This morning I noticed this Black Swallowtail flitting around out in some wildflowers near the edge of our yard, next to a corn field. I grabbed my camera and went out and got a few shots. Comments and Critiques welcome.

I captured one in flight as well with the brown seasoned corn field as the background.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Shot with Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 100-400 mm L lens at 400 mm, settings f7.1, 1/2000, ISO 800, HH. Edited in LR and Topaz AI Clear.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Shirley: Great captures both with the antennae and proboscis clear and sharp in each. I like the first because of the detail and colors in the wings and I like the second just because I know how difficult flight shots can be. Many :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like

Outstanding, Shirley. I agree with everything Bill mentioned - especially concerning the in-flight shot. Most difficult.

1 Like

Nicely seen and done Shirley. Really like the detail in both images. The eyes are crystal clear. Great job.

1 Like

Beautiful images, Shirley. The perched image is particularly fine with the exquisite detail and a great composition.

1 Like

These are both very nice Shirley. I particularly like the perched image. It’s a great side view, nice angles and a great background. And the in-flight one looks like it was a challenge to capture! Well done.

1 Like

Shirley, great work in both photos! I like the comp. in the nectaring shot, with the angled lead from the plant. You’ve got outstanding colors and details . The in-flight shots is also nicely sharp. As others have said getting a butterfly (or anything) in flight is quite a feat, congrats. BTW, I have yet to see an Eastern Black Swallowtail this year…

1 Like

All said above – wonderful detail on the first with a lovely perch, and amazing to capture one in flight! For the first, I wonder about adding some canvas on the left – content-aware fill should work well. If you need to keep the aspect ratio, a little could be lost on the right. That would balance the visual weight a little but not a big deal.

1 Like