Swallowtail

Enjoying the Dandelion

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I haven’t had very many Swallowtails at our flower garden this year, so when I walked out in the yard yesterday to walk around before the Tropical Storm was due to come, I was surprised to see this beauty enjoying the dandelions in our yard (grass needs cutting).

Specific Feedback

I used the 8X10 crop (didn’t crop much). Do you think this works for composition, or should I use a square crop? I always like going with 8X10 in case I want to frame a shot later.

Technical Details

Canon R5, Sigma 150-600mm @ 600mm, HH, 1/3200, f6.3, ISO auto at 3200 and 4000, respectively (I keep my camera set ready for birds, and didn’t change it). Edited slightly in LR and used denoise in it.

2 Likes

Gorgeous, with wonderful detail, and all the better for being HH on the fly! The aspect ratio works perfectly for me, but for both I would add some canvas on the left and take off to match on the right. There is too much visual weight on the left half, and the flower would look nice a little off-center. Gorgeous BG! Hope the storm doesn’t do any more damage.

Thank you, Diane. The storm has passed us by, just a bit breezy but a nice cool day, which is a relief from the heat we had this summer. I’m going back out and enjoy it.

1 Like

Hi Shirley,

Very nice looks at this swallowtail. You can certainly do some adjusting as Diane suggests. The yellows on the flower are fairly bright and probably slightly out of gamut. Just a minor tweak is all that’s needed if you want to print these out. Otherwise, well done…Jim

1 Like

Super looks at the swallowtail, Shirley. Great use of your long lens, and I especially like the view we get of the underwings in the second shot.

1 Like

Really nice catch Shirley. Love the flight shot with the dangling legs. It’s a real challenge to catch these guys flying and this is great with the head of the butterfly in good focus. I believe this is a Spicebush Swallowtail given the pattern on the underwings in the second image which is a very nice shot too - hard to catch them without their wings fluttering about madly when perched. Good advice above I think but either way really terrific.

2 Likes

Shirley: Most excellent captures both IMO and great use of your long lens. I recall the limitations of the old film days where shots like this just wouldn’t be possible. Superbly crafted images. >=))>

1 Like

Shirley, both of these are excellent looks at this swallowtail. In flight shots are very challenging, so that view shows off your technique. You’ve handled the blacks well, also. If you wanted to push the crop on the inflight shot, you might even try a vertical, since that would emphasize the landing motion of the BF. I’m not sure a square would be any better than your 8 x 10.

1 Like