Swallowtail

This was taken in our flower garden a few days ago. All comments are welcome.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything you might see.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I cropped this to vertical, as it seemed after taking it, that I should have taken it that way, with the one flower in focus. Look okay?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII Canon 100-400mm L lens handheld, manual settings except ISO f5.6, 1/800, ISO 800 (auto). Edited in LR and Topaz.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Shirley: Jaw dropping awesome IMO :scream:. I like the wing position and the perch is wonderful. I might like a touch more room on both sides but this looks great as is. The BG ainā€™t bad either :wink:. Superbly crafted image.>=))>

1 Like

Thank you, Bill, I appreciate that. I cropped it a bit close trying to make in vertical from a horizontal. If I gave it more on the sides, it would start turning into a square.

Shirley, this is a fine look at this Eastern Black Swallowtail, the body spots are a key for ID. Itā€™s details show very well and the colorful perch adds a lot. As someone who likes to ā€œfill the frameā€, I was thinking that cropping off about half of the stem (to a 4x5 ratio) would equalize the tightness all around. Billā€™s suggestion of a bit more space, especially on the left, will also work well. That choice is what artistic vision is all about.

1 Like

Wowā€¦really impressive shot. Didnā€™t notice the minor crowding mentioned by @Bill_Fach, but agree with the point. Perfect focus, sharpness in the right places, and background. Any idea what the white ā€œballsā€ are on the thorax/leg/wing?

Thank you, Mark and Jim. I think that is pollen from the flowers, Jim. Maybe someone else can chime in if Iā€™m wrong. Iā€™ve seen it on butterflies and bees as they work around on the flowers, so Iā€™m just guessing.

Gorgeous butterfly, lovely colours, well captured.
Grt, Ingrid.

1 Like

A wonderful picture of the swallowtail!
I think you should make a horisontal vesion with less flower stem and more space in front of the butterfly.

Thank you, Ingrid and Lennart for your kind comments and for taking the time to view. Lennart, for this shot, I turned the camera and shot vertical, thinking that was the best position. He didnā€™t hang around long enough for me to see if the horizonal would work better. I, unfortunately, cropped tightly in camera. It was a fun shot though, and I was pleased with the results, but will try to remember when out shooting again to leave a bit more room, and, if possible, try both vertical and horizonal.