Tiger Swallowtail

I shot this about a month ago in our flower garden. I like the backlight shining through his wings.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything to improve the shot.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything you can think of to improve the image.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D II, Canon 100-400 mm L at 285 mm. Handheld. Settings f7.1, 1/800, ISO (auto) 640.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Shirley, this is a lovely look at this Tiger. The warmth and structure in the background and the partial second flower create a fine sense of summer.

1 Like

Shirley: Beautiful butterfly and a terrific perch. I also like the OOF orange flowers. The partial flower on the left doesn’t work for me. It pulls my eye too much and competes with the butterfly. One could simply crop it away but then you would lose too much of the orange BG. I did some quick and dirty content aware on the flower and cropped a little for comp. Just my 2 cents. >=))>

Thanks Mark and Bill. Wow, I was starting to get comfortable that the second flower was okay after Mark’s comments. Then with your edit, Bill, I am beginning to like it without the second flower. Guess that just goes to show that we need to look at our images in more than one way, and just see what works best. I haven’t worked with the content aware tool, so may give that a whirl on this one and see how I do with it.

Lovely image Shirley and I like the backlighting too. I prefer Bill’s crop which eliminates the partial flower and focuses tighter on the butterfly.

1 Like