Tiger Swallowtail on a bull thistle

Here is another back lit butterfly. For these I go to a quite wet nature area, with very isolated little islands of plants. It’s this separation from other plants that give a nice oof background. Often standing ankle deep in muck and water focused on an individual flower waiting for a butterfly to land. Makes me happy when I come home with a few good ones.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any/all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any/all

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D70s
Nikkor 70-210 @190mm
1/500 sec.
f9

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

David, I am loving the rim light a lot, and how it shows through the wings on the BF as well. I always like to see the eyes on critters, and I am finding on this one that it is shadowed to the point I really can’t see the eye well. I am wondering if you could open up the shadows just a little bit, and not lose the rim light, which really is a nice bonus on this shot. It may even need the shadows brightened just on the eye, to keep from losing your creativity in this image. I love the composition, with the flower leaning into the frame. Nice oof background too.

1 Like

The lighting indeed looks great here, David. I like how your framing emphasizes the BF both with it’s size in the frame and because you’ve cut off a bit of the thistle.

1 Like

David: Ditto what Mark said. I agree with Shirley regarding the eye but not sure how you could remedy that without using a bit of fill flash that might diminish the rim light. Really good as is. .=))>

1 Like

I like this a lot, David.

I would generally agree with Shirley on the shadows.

And since nobody has mentioned it…your inclusion of what appears to be a green crab spider on the thistle is exceptional! :star_struck:

1 Like