Tiger Swallowtail on Joe Pye Weed

This was taken a few years ago. I love back lit butterfly wings. I try to get out in the late afternoon/early evening when the sun is low in the sky.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any All

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D70s
70-210 @ 175mm
1/200sec
f9

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

David, I like the rim of light around the butterfly, and how the lighting shines through the wings. You have a very nice oof background as well. I wonder if it would improve your image even more if you were to crop a bit from the bottom to get rid of the two tips of the tops of the weed on both the left and right hand sides? Just a thought.

2 Likes

David, this is a good look at this Tiger on the Joe Pye, with the BF and the flowers nicely sharp and a fine oof background. I suspected that this wasn’t a this year’s shot because my Joe Pye (MD) is a week or two away from blooming. The backlighting looks great, especially on the BF.

1 Like

David: Marvelous lighting for the butter fly and the perch. Very nicely done. >=))>

1 Like

David …I really like back lit images …and this one is a beauty. Love this…

Balan Vinod

1 Like

Agree with the cropping recommended by @Shirley_Freeman noted above. That’s it…this is just great. Excellent color management as well.

1 Like

Thank you all. I greatly appreciate your suggestions and comments.