Eastern Tiger Swallowtail on Ironweed

Butterflies flock to this native wildflower in my garden. Western Ironweed blooms continuously from July through September.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom @ 135mm, f/5.6, 1/300 sec., ISO 400, Hand Held

Terry, I love Tiger Swallowtails, but I rarely see them here in NC in my flower garden. I love the composition you chose, with him facing at more of a 3/4 view in the frame. I’m not familiar with the Ironweed, but they sure are a pretty color. The tail of the BF seems to be in focus nicely, but towards the head and eyes I feel like it is losing sharpness (when enlarged). I am thinking that you might have needed a bit more DOF to get sharpness all the way in the BF, and that the focus point must have been on the tail of the BF rather than the eyes (that or my old eyes aren’t seeing this right). :grinning: The colors in the BF and the flowers are really nice. The BG I wish was green grass oof throughout, but still a nice shot.

2 Likes

Thanks for your thoughtful critique, Shirley! You are correct the focus is sharper toward the tail. It was one of those “get the shot first” moments, with a second shot with better focus point to come - but the second shot never came, as she moved! I will be more cognizant of dof going forward! Thanks, again!

1 Like

Awesome Comp Terry, the color contrast of the flower adds a 3d effect. I might try toning the highlights back to see if that helps contrast a bit. These ladys do not open wide like that often so great capture.

Thanks, Dean. I’ll play with the highlights a bit per your suggestion and see what I can come up with. Yes, they can be frustrating to photograph!

Hi Terry, I like the composition and the open wing pose. Colors look good to me. Sharpness is lacking on the butterfly - seems like he was moving or you had camera shake.

Hey, Allen, thanks! Probably movement. This guy was constantly on the move!

Terry, this is a well composed look at this Tiger on your ironweed. Yes, in the larger view, the sharpness of the BF and the flowers is slightly off. These BFs do move pretty constantly making it very hard to get a sharp, well composed shot. I have New York Ironweed, but it’s bloom period is so late that there are very few of the larger butterflies around. Right now, I’m getting good Tiger Swallowtail on my Joe Pye Weed, which is another major pollinator attractor.

Thank you, Mark. I have had Joe Pye-weed in the past, and the wife and I were discussing this past spring that I need to plant some again. I would have bought some this spring but the yearly Audubon Tour and Native Plant sale was cancelled due to Covid-19. Would love to see some of your photos with the swallowtails on Joe Pye!

Terry: An oh so close capture that might be salvaged with some artistic applications of textures and/or filters. I’ve often applied an oil paint filter on not quite perfect captures and it works well. I agree with the others on commending your comp. >=))>

I’ve probably done all the processing I’m going to do to it, Bill, but thanks!