Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

I’m sorting through some older images I never got around to processing. This one was captured in April of last year. He is nectaring on the blooms of a Red Horsechestnut in my yard.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom, 1/4000 sec., ISO 800, Ev -0.5 step, Handheld. Processed in Canon DPP and PSE 2020 for exposure, color, and shake reduction.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Terry, he is a real beauty. I like the position he is in for his pose. My nit is that dark clump of leaves to the left, and I am not sure what the answer is. Some that are good with content aware my suggest that. Also, the blue (which I am guess is the sky), is a bit deep dark for a sky, for my taste. Still a nice shot, with good details in the butterfly.

Great photo Terry. I agree with Shirley about the sky - it’s a bit dark (if it’s actually the sky and not something else), so maybe that could be lightened a bit. As for the dark leaves on the left, you could maybe crop them out completely if you tried a square crop centered on the butterfly. (Of course, if you’d rather not lose those pixels, removing the leaves through other means is always another alternative.) Overall a great image though!

Great looking butterfly, sharp with beautiful colors, nice and sharp. Agree with others on dark leaves on the left and dark blue sky.

Terry, a good look at this Tiger and the blooms. Cropping to square will minimize the dark leaves on the left, then some dodging, may further reduce their presence, or you could crop them off entirely. In my experience, Tiger Swallowtails are sometimes dark yellow (like this one looks) or only a pale yellow as they get older. I’m guessing that you pushed the saturation to get a nice dark yellow when this is clearly an older male and that saturation push gives you the purpleish sky.

Thanks, all for your comments and editing suggestions.

Terry: We don’t have many Tigers in my neck of the woods so I really envy you the opportunity. Marvelous capture of the butterfly. I did some stuff with the BG including a crop from the left and some modification on the sky in the upper right. Back to you. >=))>

Thanks, Bill. They are beautiful butterflies. I like what you did with the crop and backing off on the sky just a bit.