A Pair of Eastern Tiger Swallowtails

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

These two males are nectaring on native Buttonbush, Cephalanthus occidentalis L., in my yard. When in bloom, Buttonbush, with its pincushion-like blooms, is a butterfly and other beneficial insect magnet, and attracts hummingbirds, as well. It also attracts other small birds, which come to eat the insects attracted to the plant. Plus it exudes a terrific fragrance.

Specific Feedback

None

Technical Details

buttonbush

Canon RF 100-500mm, hand held, processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz DeNoise

Outstanding capture, Terry. Love how the soft backdrop sets off the butterflies.

Terry, wow, two for the price of one, huh? Sounds like these flowers are the ones I need to attract BF’s and other insects, and even birds. I never heard of them before.

For me, those bright spots seem to be calling too much attention from the those beautiful BF’s. I am wondering if maybe you lowered the saturation and maybe darkened those brighter areas in the BG, and maybe even boost the saturation/contrast on the BF’s if more attention would go to them? Just a thought. I’m not sure if this is a crop, if so, I would prefer less room on the right, and maybe more on the top, bottom and maybe a touch on the left. I’m really being picky now I think.

I would be thrilled to have captured two of these Tiger Swallowtails sharp in one image. They were fairly close together, and using f8 really gave you the DOF to get both nice and sharp.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman. I think Buttonbush is native to most of the eastern half of the U.S. It’s a great shrub we have enjoyed for many years.

I tried saturating the butterflies more before posting, but that was all I could get out of them. I can certainly adjust the background brightness and saturation. I can give them more room on the left, and less room on the right, but the top and bottom of the photo is full frame.

1 Like

Great capture, Terry! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the information on the Buttonbush, I will have to explore that one for my yard. I’ve seen them around but I never really paid them much attention but, I will now. :slight_smile:

I really like the composition and, the exposure was obviously well handled, it looks very clean for ISO 4000. Very nice non-distracting bokeh as well.

Lovely! :slight_smile:

Whoops, sorry! I meant to thank you, too @linda_mellor! My bad! Thanks for your comments!

Thanks @Merv. I think you would find Buttonbush to be a valuable wildlife shrub.

1 Like

A great catch to get two like this, both in focus. I agree with @Shirley_Freeman 's crop suggestions (left and right) to really keep attention on the beautiful subjects.

Thanks @Mike_Friel. I cropped it the way I did on the left to keep the point of that one leaf in the frame. I’m always loath to cut leaves in half; I don’t know why… :thinking:

Terry: I’m a little late to this party but what wonderful subjects and great management of your plane of focus and DOF. Since these guys are oriented one above the other I cropped this to a portrait orientation and I also made that dark spot above the tail of the upper butterfly go away. Back to you. >=))>

1 Like

Thanks @Bill_Fach. Yeah, that crop definitely shows off the stars of the show much better. I’m not sure what that dark spot was, but didn’t notice it until you mentioned and remove it!

Terry, I like what @Bill_Fach did. Not sure why I didn’t even think of a portrait shot, but the position of the BF’s makes this work. I missed that dark spot too! :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Terry,

One swallowtail is a challenging photo-op, but getting two at a time in perfect focus is a combination of luck and skill. Focus is pretty good with excellent details present in the wings. Bill’s vertical crop works well and either of them are suitable presentations. …Jim

Thanks, @Jim_Zablotny. I appreciate your comments.