Spicebush Swallowtail

Although visually similar in many respects to the Pipevine Swallowtail I posted a couple days ago, the Spicebush Swallowtail can be distinguished by the double row of spots underwing, whereas the Pipevine Swallowtail has only one row of spots. As you might deduce, the Spicebush Swallowtail lays it’s eggs on Northern Spicebush, Lindera benzoin, and Sassafrass, Sassafras albidum. I grow both plants in my yard so, hoping to see some caterpillars. This female is nectaring on Ironweed in my yard.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM @ 140mm, f/5.6, 1/500 sec., ISO 1250. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

1 Like

Terry, a gorgeous butterfly in great condition on an attractive plant. I’d be tempted to clone out the paler parts between the hindwing and body and in front of the butterfly’s body. But that’s being real picky. It could also make a nice square crop.

Terry, she is beautiful, and you capture her on a pretty flower as well. It looks like the light was a bit harsh, but you managed it well but you might could cut down on the lighting on the bush just a touch which might bring more attention to the BF. Just a thought. I like the composition as is, myself. I like how she is giving you a quick glance as she was nectaring. I haven’t seen hardly any BFs in my yard this year, and when I did I didn’t have my camera in hand.

Hi Terry, nice pose you caught here! Another tough subject to catch without the wings flapping away. I like the background. The flower the butterfly is on looks over processed to me - maybe reducing contrast there and darkening would help.

1 Like

Hi Allen. Thanks. I actually did very little to this image except try to tone down the harsh light. I’ll look at it again.

Thanks @Mike_Friel. I’ll play with your suggestions and see how it looks.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman The light was very harsh - good to bring out details in the butterfly, but difficult to manage on the plant. Hope you get some butterflies soon. They have just begun to get active here in the last 10 days, or so.

Terry, another really nice portrait of a butterfly. Well done.

Thanks, David. I appreciate you stopping by and commenting.