Pipevine Swallowtail

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

When the native Ironweed begins to bloom in late June/early July, butterflies like the Pipevine Swallowtails seem to magically appear. They are nearly frantic in their feeding, making them difficult to photograph.

Specific Feedback

I was shooting in bright light, making it difficult not to overexpose the plant, while not underexposing the blacks in the butterfly too much. Your opinion?

Technical Details

butterfly

Canon RF 100-500mm, handheld, processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping, Topaz DeNoise.

Terry, I think you did a fine job with difficult lighting to get the plant and the BF in fairly good exposure. That BF is spot on in every way, in my opinion. I can imagine it was not an easy shot, both with the exposure and the frantic feeding of the BF. I’m wondering if you selected just the BF, and did a reverse mask so that you could pull down the exposure on the plant and BG if that would make the BF stand out more? May not where he is a dark subject, but thought if it did help call more attention to him. He is beautiful and you got him nice and sharp.

Terry: You got some pretty good details on this guy with your SS. I know when I shoot them when they’re in that frantic mode I try to get my SS in the 1/1000 range or faster. I like your comp and am okay with the BG as is but think Shirley makes a good point. Very nicely done. >=))>

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman. I’ll give that a try.

I totally agree my ss was way too slow @Bill_Fach. I normally shoot them up around 1000, as well. Don’t know what I was thinking. Hopefully, the little beauties will give me another opportunity. Thanks for your comments.

1 Like

What a beautiful BF and you did a great job on the sharpness. I also like the uniqueness of the plant it lit on. I agree with @Shirley_Freeman that because the plant is lighter than the butterfly that it’s what I’m drawn to. By lightening the BF and darkening the plant, you’ll make the BF the main subject. Beautiful shot though.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments and suggestions @Donna_Callais.

Another nice BF shot, Terry. I totally agree with @Bill_Fach about the ss. When I see a Swallowtail, I immediately switch to Shutter Priority, and bump the speed to 1/4000, with a high ISO (which you do have here). Some Swallowtails flutter more than others, but most flutter when feeding. I take a squillion shots and hope to get one with wings perfectly sharp, which sometimes happens. I also appreciate that you prefer space around your subjects; however, here I’d chop a bit off the top and bottom to get rid of the pale blobs. But don’t get me wrong, it’s a beautiful butterfly and it goes so well with the flowers.

Thanks @Mike_Friel. Yeah, again, don’t know why I had such a low ss; not paying attention, I guess. Normally I would be up around 1/1000 or higher. I’m surprised I got it as sharp as I did.