Pipevine Swallowtail II

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another Pipevine Swallowtail seen at the local botanic gardens. These guys seem to always be fluttering so I went for a shot with motion blur in the upper wing and relatively still in the lower.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Canon 90D, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 1.4x extender II
ISO 2500, f16, 1/160s, hand held

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop.

A beautiful image and such a clean shot. I love the details and colours in the butterfly’s wing and how the reddish-orange spots mirror the reddish-orange flower.

Another nice one, Allen. I do love how the oranges in the flower compliment the orange on the BF too. You really caught him in a nice stance. The BG makes the BF stand out nicely. I can’t think of anything that would improve the shot.

Allen, that’s a beautiful swallowtail on lantanas. I hear what you say about the butterflies constantly fluttering. I wouldn’t have dared to shoot them using 1/160s. Congratulations on a great capture. The BG colors are just right and put the butterfly front and center.

Allen, this is a good look at this Pipevine. I like how you’ve got the flower and the BF angled across the frame. The wing tip movement captures the behavior well. I am wondering about a bit more contrast (or maybe pulling the blacks down slightly) as the dark areas of the wing and thorax look a bit gray to me. The large view also shows the movement of the proboscis, which is nice.