Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Seen last month at the local botanic gardens.

Specific Feedback

Any.

Technical Details

Canon 90D, 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, 1.4x extender II
ISO 2500, f13, 1/500s, hand held

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop.

2 Likes

Superb image of this butterfly, Allen. Your angle to the butterfly and depth of field got every bit in clear focus and exposure looks right on. If I really had to come up with a nit, I might recommend removing the out of focus pink flower under the left wing and the faint edge of one in the upper right, but those are very minor issues in an excellent image.

That’s a fine shot of a fine butterfly, Allen - all good!

A real beauty, Allen. Fine details in the BF. The composition works well for me, with the BF placed so that the head and tail point to the corners as well as the tips of the wings pointing at the other corners of the frame. The BF looks in real good condition too.

These things are so gorgeous! Excellent work to get the pose and shooting angle. The BG is lovely.

Are the front wings a bit faded on the outer edges, or is that the natural coloration? If you are into cosmetic tweaks, the subject is so sharp you could get a good selection of the wings and do a masked Curves to darken the darkest tones and hold the yellows where they are, then mask it to just the edges of the wings with a soft-edged brush.

Great photo image, Allen. Not sure how you got the butterfly to pose so nicely. The green background worked very well. I see what Dennis is referring to, but those are hard to get out of these even with the Remove Tool in Photoshop. It is small and OOF enough I think it is ok because the subject stands out so well.

Natures amazing colors always make me stop, and take my breath away. A beautiful image that showcases the transformation that becomes a butterfly. Thank you for sharing…