Pipevine Swallowtail + Repost

The U. S. distribution of the pipevine swallowtail extends from southern Connecticut south to central Florida and west to Arizona with an isolated population in northern California. This one is nectaring on Western Ironweed in my yard in NE Oklahoma.

An interesting side note (at least to me) is that an extract of the southwestern pipevine, one of the larval host plants for this butterfly, was the main ingredient in the snakeroot oil sold by traveling “snakeroot doctors” at medicine shows in the Old West during the 19th century. Aristolochic acids in the products have been implicated as causative agents of renal toxicity and also may be carcinogenic.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom @ 225mm, f/8, 1/1500 sec., ISO 1000, Ev -1.5 step. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

2 Likes

Beautiful capture, Terry! Love all the different colors of the butterfly and flower. Nice muted background to make them stand out. Interesting factoids about the snakeroot medicine, not as long of a side effects list as the ‘medicine’ of today! :sweat_smile:

Terry, this is spectacular! I love the position you caught the BF in, and the lighting just shining right in his face. Love the flowers too, the colors are beautiful. Nice smooth BG too. I could see cropping a bit more and see if the brighter portion of the BG could even be eliminated and still have the flowers in the frame enough at the bottom that it doesn’t look too cut off. Maybe even a square frame. Just a thought. Love this image.

I think this is an excellent image, Terry. Not sure how I’d crop it to get the butterfly off dead center, so I think I’ll just enjoy it as is.

Thanks @Vanessa_Hill. I hadn’t really thought about it but you are right concerning the side effects of modern medications! Haven’t come all that far, have we? :grinning:

Hi @Shirley_Freeman. Thank you very much; I’m glad you like it. When I first processed this, I kinda liked that shining light in that corner, but the more I look at it, the more I think you are right. I touched it up a bit with some content aware fill and will repost to see if you like it better. Thanks, again!

1 Like

This is a beautiful image Terry! I love the morning light and the position of the butterfly. The repost removing the bright spot is a good improvement. Well done!

Oh, I like the repost, Terry. I will go ahead and edit the title to add “repost” so others will know that you have made changes.

1 Like

Thanks @Steve_Kennedy. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Thanks @David_Bostock

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman. I meant to do that when I reposted and forgot to do so.

1 Like

Nice image Terry - these guys are tough to catch without them constantly flapping their wings. I like the repost with the bright area taken out. I like the pose of the butterfly - we can see the full body as well as the wings. Nice!

I like what you did in the repost too, Terry!

2 Likes

Hi Terry,

Repost looks good. You could crop it without having to edit out orphaned plant parts, but it would be a very tight crop. Having some is always a good thing. I think you did well capturing this fast moving swallowtail…Jim

Thanks @Allen_Sparks @Vanessa_Hill @Jim_Zablotny. These butterflies are always a challenge to capture in a good pose, with good light, and relatively motionless, as mentioned by Allen. He was definitely a beautiful specimen.

1 Like

Wonderful capture of a beautiful specimen! I could go for some crop on all sides and clone the stray plant in the LL, to show off the lovely capture.

1 Like