Tiger Swallowtail

I have had up to 10 Tiger Swallowtails visit my batch of Joe Pye weed this year, which is the most in several years. They come in mid-morning and different ones hang out until nearly dark. They are in constant motion. While Joe Pye is not a particularly colorful flower it is a terrific pollinator attractor, with bees, wasps, smaller butterflies and even hummingbird moths visiting. (7D2, 100-400 @ 286, 1/160 s, f/10, iso 200, tripod)

1 Like

Mark, this is really nice. I love the backlight on his wings, even showing the shadows of the flowers he is on. The details and the colors are really great. Frame filling feast for the eyes. I’m so glad that you are getting the Tiger Swallowtail in abundance this year. I saw one on my walk yesterday morning, but only had my phone with me so didn’t get a shot.

1 Like

Beautiful, Mark. These butterflies are such beauties, and that’s a nice capture. Comp is terrific. I think we have discussed that Joe Pye is one of my favorite native wildflowers, as well. Do you think more folks would plant natives if they didn’t have such awful names like Joe Pye-weed, Milkweed, Ironweed, Rattlesnake Master, etc.? :wink:

Mark: A great capture of this pristine beauty. I like how you have it oriented in the frame and the wing to wing sharpness. Superb image.>=))>

Hi Mark, I love the light coming through the wings in this image - really wonderful. Fine details also with an interesting view of the flowers up close. Well done.