Swallowtail on a Butterfly Bush

When the butterflies come, they come in droves ranging from Monarchs, Gulf Fritillary’s, Sulphur’s, Skippers and ever so often a Long Tailed Swallowtail, such as this one.

Specific Feedback Requested

I used a technique mentioned to me by someone on this forum that used a photo filter layer over the BG to soften and mute the colors. I used that in combination with an exposure layer to push the butterfly and flower forward as the original BG was just overpowering everything.

But, did I go too far?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D850, 28-300 @300mm, f/7.1, 1/1600, ISO 500

Chris, it sounds like feast or famine for you with the butterflies. So glad that you had the opportunity for the feast of many coming your way. We don’t get too many here in our yard, but I think I did see more Monarchs and Swallowtails than normal. Even had some caterpillars in our flower garden, which I was thrilled with.

I am not familiar with the process you mentioned that you used with some kind of filter, but to me, it appears to be some sort of halo like around both the BF and the flower, so maybe that is the cause. I love the composition you presented here.

1 Like

Thanks, Shirley. Likely the layer color for softening the BG caused this. I’ve only tried using this technique one other time, so need to learn how to avoid this in the future.

1 Like