Swallowtail in our pollinator garden

This swallowtail has been visiting our garden for the last two days. I am not sure if it is male or female. The plant is a Pugster Blue Butterfly Bush.

Specific Feedback Requested

Tell me anything to improve.

Technical Details

Canon 6dmkii
Canon 70-300L @ 252mm
F8
Iso 800
Shutter 1/640
With sun in and out.

2 Likes

I think this is very nice, with a lovely complementary color in the flower. It’s always hard for me to get enough DOF on butterflies, and I could wish for the top of the wings to be sharper, but then the DOF on the BG might lead to more distractions. For my taste, I could see some cropping from the bottom, to remove some of the plants, but I don’t object to the OOF stuff there. In fact, I think softening the detail there helps keep attention on the BF. As an alternative to cropping I might try some blur there.

Brian, I nice look at this beautiful butterfly. I love his pose on the flower. The BG really makes it stand out nicely.

Hey, Brian, a really nice image. Good details and colors in the BF. I would agree with Diane that perhaps a blurring of some of those flowers in the bottom frame might be good; I don’t think cropping is the answer, there. Regardless, a fine photo.