Blended

Original

Rework

2nd rework

Hello everyone,

So quarantine is making me go a bit distressed for not shooting for a couple of months now, and the only therapy for me is the usual youtube channel, readings and going thru my catalogue in search of image that my need a second change in PP, and dreaming with the next day shooting (soon i hope)

This one was made on a very special day to me, my first hike on snow and, among other scenes, this one made me stop and try to capture the beauty of this lone tree on a white canvas, there was no mist of fog to separate the subject so the final result never came to be what i expected.
Later i tried a diferente approach, PP in Lab to maintain the softness and subtle colours but tried to raise te tone to a more bright and highkey’ish image.

I’m no over the moon with this one, but it kind of grew on me, maybe because of the day it was to me, or maybe because there’s something in it that i didn’t quiet grasp.

Thank you all.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all.

How’s the PP? Did the use of Lab saturated the points of colour to much? Is the image to soft and chaotic?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Tripod shot at 1/50s, f/10, ISO 100 at 213mm

@jferrao.photo

Olá João

I understand why you like this image, not only because of the Image “per si” but what you experience on that day.
Yes, some fog would help to separate the tree from the BG, but I reckon this image is a keeper anyway.
Your approach on PP works for me.
Nice one.

1 Like

This one is working quite nicely for me. I like the high key look throughout and the rocks and structure of the tree anchor the image well.

1 Like

Olá @joaoquintela , Hi @Harley_Goldman.

Thank you both for your kind words. Everyday it grows more on me.
Cheers

This is lovely. The high-key treatment lends an air of gentleness that matches the light snow accumulation. My mind wants to see a rock in the LRC, to complete the mounded shape of the other rocks at the bottom. Maybe darkening the LRC just a tad would give more balance.

1 Like

Hey @Bonnie_Lampley,

Thank you so much.
I can totally see what you mean, i reworked the image to dark the LRC a bit but when i went juat a bit over it became weird, and not natural. So a i made it a bit darker, just a smidge, and i can see the diference without being unnatural, and i think it elongates the line created by the rocks.
Thanks for the tip.
Cheers.

1 Like

The darkening of the LRC in the rework is a subtle, but effective change

Just for fun, I attempted a rework to see if some negative dehaze and negative clarity could generate some fog for you, to get more separation of the tree. I added negative dehaze and clarity in ACR on a copied layer, and then just manually masked it into the background. It was worth a try. You could go for even more "fog " at stronger settings if you wanted to. Because the image is high key, I think you can get easily away with softening the background like this.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your time @Ed_McGuirk. The result is great, got to try it myself.
I tried the opposite approach, to decrease clarity and dehaze and then burn the darker areas of the tree and rocks, but the result wasn’t as good as your rework.
Definitely something to try and invest some time, thanks again.
Cheers

I like your high key presentation and Ed’s recommendations.

1 Like

Thank you @Eva_McDermott.
@Ed_McGuirk your rework is indeed a great change. I tried my version of it, i created a duplicate and added a raw filter with negative clarity and dehaze as you did and then masked out the tree and rocks (thank god for pressure sensitive pens). I think i added a bit more fog then Ed but to me it’s more to much yet.

Again, thank you all for your kind words and great feedback.

Lovely image, Joao. My favorite of the three is the second one, where you darkened a small amount. That darkening helps to differentiate the tree and spotlight it somewhat. A beautiful scene.

Thank you so much @Bill_Chambers. It was. A small change that made a great impact.
The kind of stuff we get to learn by CC. :smile:
Cheers