Bloodroot

Bloodroot ( Sanguinaria canadensis) are the first spring ephemeral to bloom in the Mid-Atlantic forests. This was taken a week ago and even then I had to search to find a flower that wasn’t well past it’s peak bloom. (5D3, 180mm macro L, 1/60 s, f/20, iso 200, tripod)

3 Likes

Beautifully captured, Mark, with good sharpness in the centre and nice texture in the petals. I only wonder if the bg were darkened a bit maybe the flower would stand out even more, but that is merely personal preference.

Mark: A very nice find and a fine capture. Would like to know the BG. We kind of expect to see some kind of green BG for flowers so this is different and good. Well done. >=))>

Mark, this is a nice look at this beautiful bloom. I am guessing, since you mentioned that this flower blooms in the Mid-Atlantic forest, that it is the forest ground floor (pine needles, etc., that makes up the BG. I should remember this flower, having grown up on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, but it isn’t ringing any bells. It is pretty, and you captured nice details in the pedals and center.

Bloodroot is one of my favorites because it is an early bloomer in the forests of New England and its size is outstanding in comparison to most spring wild flowers. The background is different from the large green leaves that usually surround it . Interesting how different it makes it feel with the browns in your image. No nits from me. Thanks for posting it.

@Bill_Fach, @Patricia_Brundage

The background is a very large fallen oak leaf. These bloom here in the mid-Atlantic well before there’s much greenery on the ground. In fact, when the forest floor is largely natural (no major invasives) they stay brown year around.

Mark
I had never seen this flower either. The background gives it a very distinctive look. Great capture! How big is the flower?

Kathy, sorry for not responding, your question only seeped into my foggy brain just now. The flower is about 2 inches tip-to-tip.

1 Like