Blue Winged Teal Take Off

Going through old photographs I found this Blue Winged Teal from Feb. 2015. I know this is tight and I’m trying to find more images with a little environment in them but looking through my images I am not finding much from back in the day when cropping tight was all the rage. Moving forward I will purposely try and make that a part of my thought process. There was shoreline just to the bottom of this frame so I can’t include more canvas without disrupting the composition.
As always, I appreciate any comments and particularly suggestions for improvement.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Feb. 2015, Nikon D4s, 1/2500 sec @f/7.1, 850mm (600 with a 1.4 converter), ISO 800

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) Single shot, water drops removed

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

A really nice flight shot from a very fast bird, David. While showing more environment is nice sometimes a close image works as well, and I like this one. I love the wing position in this and the nice eye contact. The tail reflection setting out by itself is interesting, but I think I’d be tempted to remove it as I don’t see it adding to the image significantly.

Hi David, I agree with Dennis. This works for me. I like the details captured on the body and the blur in the wing is pleasing. He has room to fly in to but a little more would be okay too. I also agree with taking out the tail reflection. Nice capture.

Yes it certainly is a very nice flight shot. I like the excellent pose and nice sharp focus where it needs to be. Interesting looking feather hanging a bit loose on that far wing. Well done.

Fine down-wing pose of this fast flying duck. The light and ripples, especially the one where the wing touches the water ass a lot. Nice to see the blues in the wing. I do not mind the tight composition.

Nice shot, David - fast flyers they are. Agree with the others on the tail reflection, although it’s quite interesting in itself. Cheers, Hans

Thank you @Dennis_Plank, @David_Leroy, @Allen_Sparks, @Hans_Overduin, @S_Govindarajan for your comments and suggestions. I am torn on the tail feather reflection but agree that it is an eye-grabber and might be better removed. Thanks so much!

IQ is great! The head is razor sharp, exposure is spot-on, and the colors are beautiful. Personally, I like the tail reflection, but I would like a bit more room in front of the bird. Overall, very nice.