Borrego Storm

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II f/11 1/200 sec ISO-400 24mm

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Larry, this is quite dramatic, with an amazing sky. The brightness of the land on the right could be toned down to not pull my eyes out of the frame.

Larry, lots of drama in this sky. I like the overall composition with the wide open terrain down there near the Salton Sea area. I’m assuming by Borrego you’re referring to wonderful Anza Borrego area…:+1:
I could also see a slight drop in the brightness in the LRH area that Mark mentions.

Tons of drama in the sky and the light is gorgeous, Larry. I too would tone down the LRC. To me the colors look a bit off in the image; particularly the sky. The scene is well worth tweaking a bit.

Larry,

Can’t help but repeat… great drama in the sky! :wink: Looks like rain or a good dust storm on the left side of the horizon line - very cool. And given the storm and clouds, it’s certainly understandable having varying light on the foreground/landscape. Having said that, I still agree with the other that this area in the LR be burned down a bit.

I didn’t try, but seems to me this might be a great candidate for b&w?? Although I’m guessing the yellow-flowering plants are reason enough to leave this in color.

Small minor nit - there’s a black spot above the right hand hill. I’m guessing a turkey vulture or some big bird, certainly not a dust bunnie… No biggie, but you might consider removing it.

Lon

Hi Larry,

Specifically, what sort of critique are you looking for? Comp? Post processing? Is always helpful to give use and idea of what you’re looking for.

As the other have said, the foreground is to bright and keeps pulling my eyes in distracting from the rest of the scene. Also I would cool it down a little bit, I think is too yellow, this also for the mountains on the right. I would also add more contrast and clarity to the clouds to emphasize the drama in them. This is a great scene with a lot of potential. Well done.