Bright Eyed and Bushy (?) Tailed

Critique Style: Standard

The photographer is looking for thoughtful feedback on the image as a whole, especially around the areas noted below.

Feedback Focus: Artistic / Expressive

About This Image

Another chance encounter with a Blue Dasher. They keep interrupting my watering sessions but shooting dragons is a lot more fun than irrigating plants!

Feedback Requested

I toned down the BG a bit by decreasing exposure and saturation. Are the bokeh balls on the right edge OK?

Technical Details

Sony A7rIII
Sony FE 100mm f2.8 GM Macro, 2xTC
ISO 800, 1/160 @ f11
Global dust removal and adjustments in LRC, final sizing, sharpening in PS

1 Like

What big eyes you have!!

Great kit Bill as I now well know!
Lovely framing /composition .

The image as presented is amazingly sharp. I like the lightness. It’s all personal taste how far you push things but I wonder if you might consider a small step back sharpness wise . It may well have been a very sunny day but I wonder if a little less clarity and dehaze adds to the beauty?

Bokeh balls are made a little less distracting too - to my eye they’re fine and look great!

Wonderful capture

Huw

Processing example based on the original image:

Beautiful catch of this dasher, Bill. The bokeh balls don’t bother me a bit. I love the composition you created here -very “outer-space/alien” looking.

Bill, I love the range of greens - almost military khakis - with even the eyes matching. Bokeh balls are all right with me. I like how the green shows through the wings too. It’s all good to my eyes, though I’d be tempted to “greenify” the LLC, if you know what I mean.