Broad-billed Hummer

This trip to Arizona I made my first attempt at getting flight shots of hummingbirds. This was taken at the Paton Center. Caught this one approaching a feeder

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500, 80-400 lens, ISO 800, 1/1600 @ f 5.6. About 50% crop, bit of the feeder cropped out LL.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Well composed with good exposure, wing position, and background. I think your large crop is what is hurting you here with respect to detail. The highlights on the beak could also be toned down.

Hi Skip,
Nice catch of this beauty. I agree with David’s critique. The pose is very nice - just lacking some detail on the bird and the light on the beak is overexposed. Nice background.

A beautiful bird and you caught some great iridescence, Skip. I love the wing position. It does look as if the focus were a trifle off.