Bufflehead close up

I have a pond where you can get pretty close to them.
My favorite local wild duck.
Any comments appreciated.

600mm, iso1000, f5,6

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

What a great close-up look at the buffleheads. Good light on bird and water. I like the angle you shot this at and the water droplets.

HI Dan
The low angle, color, detail and water action are great.
Peter

Beautiful, Dan. Wish I could find a place where they’d let me get anywhere near this close. No nits on this.

Now that’s certainly up close and personal, and that’s a hell of a bow wave it’s churning up. For me I would much prefer something a lot less cramped. As framed I think you’re compromising the appealing aspects by framing too close. All that excellent detail, if that’s what you’re trying to convey, will still show up very nicely with more room all around.

Bill, I completely understand your comment…
This is a decent crop although the full frame is still pretty close…
There are a lot of Bufflehead photos with more room all around.
Since I could reasonably crop this tight and still maintain some quality,
I decided to do a real close up of this tiny duck for something different.
If I was going to make a print, I would have more room.
I would also remove the second catch light, a real mistake…

Hi Dan,

The head detail and colors are special in this image. I’m amazed that you were able to get this close. The odd set of reflections in the eye might be the nictitating membrane. The duck blinked during the exposure. I would look at some of your other images in this series to figure out how to edit the eye if you desire to do that. Well done…Jim

What a gorgeous shot showing the color so well. Sharp detail, wonderful low angle. I might have left a little more room in front of him but certainly nothing wrong with how it’s presented.

While I am not a fan of tight crops, this one works pretty well. Nice color and light. Water texture in the foreground is wonderful. is this a large crop? There does seem to be some noise in some of the white shadowed areas and darker areas on the image.