Bufflehead Drake IF

Part of the breeding action here at the local pond. These ducks move quite quickly but it is easy to predict when they will move and take off. The males are in the process of cornering the females. On this day everybody was cooperative in looking for a mating partner. Fun to watch. Even the Canada geese were taking part.

What technical feedback would you like if any? I sure wish I could be shooting at a higher iso so that I have better image quality. Even with the sun out, the light levels were not ideal.

I think I needed the fast shutter speed because the wing tips are slightly blurred.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I cloned away some of the water greenery as some folks found it objectionable in my last post.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 5000, 100-400+1.4 extender at 820 mm (APC mode), F8, 5000th, handheld, about 50% of full frame (30MP)

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Wonderful shot. I like that you captured the bufflehead coming at you. The detail looks very good. I don’t see much wing blur and it would be consistent with the motion. I really like the splash behind the bird and that the wingtips are still in the water. The water and lighting look good and the background foliage adds some depth to the shot. A shot I’d be quite proud to have taken.

You got a great angle on this one, David. I need to go back and look at your last post. I saw it on my tablet, but hate to comment based on that view. I like the lily pads you left and the loose composition. I’m glad you found some place they’re not kicking people out of.

Breeding buffleheads!! That’s fantastic.

While their motion can be predictable, that doesnt mean they’re easy to catch in flight. Well-done on that. Comp-wise, I’d prefer more room below and a little less up top. Spec-wise, I see quite a bit of noise. Personally, I wouldn’t worry about blurred wingtips. I’d gladly sacrifice that for shooting at a lower ISO. I also bet you could get away shooting these guys at 1/3200, which would allow for a lower ISO.

I find them hard to get close to never mind a nice flight shot. And angling in toward you Very well done. Composition looks good to me. I like the colors withe nice greens and yellows. Is that a little clone mark in lower left corner?

I don’t think so, no cloning in LLC…

Thanks David for clearing that up.

Hi,

Nice in flight shot. The duck is nice and sharp, but I really like how you I clouded the takeoff splash behind the bird. Well done…Jim