Bufflehead

Shot this fellow in January. In post, I just cropped slightly, desaturated the water, and resized. I didnt think the bird needed any sharpening, so I left him alone.

Techs:
D850
500mm f/4 II, handheld
1/3200
f./7.1
ISO 500

All C&C welcome.

IG: @feelingruby

I agree with your sharpening decision, Lyle. when they’re that sharp anything further just makes it look unnatural. Great job on the whites and you caught some awesome iridescence on the head.

Excellent capture of the colors in the head with a nice head turn. Whites look good.

They are an exquisite duck. The lighting is excellent, and your post processing is spot on. Well done…Jim

Really nice Lyle. I like the backwards pose and the exposure is spot on. Terrific whites and I love the iridescence. No nits from me.

Nice exposure, Lyle. I marvel at anyone who manages to capture their subtle colors so well like this.

Max

I’m with Dennis and everyone else on this. Buffleheads are quite difficult to photograph; they are really skittish and the balance between the white plumage, the iridescent plumage, and the dark plumage is very difficult to perfect. All the stars in the sky need to line up just properly to pull this off. Good job.