Lesser Scaup

Shot this guy Maryland last month. Just cropped, desaturated the blues, set the white and black points, sharpened, and reduced noise on the BG. All C&C welcome.

Techs:
D850
500mm f/4 II, handheld
1/2500
f/7.1
ISO 500

IG: @feelingruby

A lovely image of this Scaup, Lyle. Beautiful detail and a great head turn and it’s swimming in some gorgeous water. No nits here.

A fine looking shot of a Lesser Scaup I believe. Nice pose and good to see the bird coming in toward you. I might remove those bright little water highlights on the breast and water of Scaup. Well done.

Very nice,Lyle, I like the sun light on the side, great detail and colors on the bill and face .

Hi Lyle,
great detail in the bird and I really like the iridescence you captured. Nice water too. That eye is great. Well done.

Beautiful image of the scaup with excellent detail and I like the sharpness of the eye and iridescent color on the head.
I always have difficulty figuring out greater from lesser. I would have called this a greater, given the green, but lighting can change the iridescent pattern. Is the back of the head peaked or is the head rounded? Hard for me to say from this angle.

Good job on the color, detail, eye processing. You’re probably correct that this is a lesser scaup but difficult to tell with a less-than-perfect view of the tufted area on the back of the head. The differentiation is moderately subtle. Better job on the blue water color.

Hi Lyle,

Looks good as presented. Blues are perfect. I especially like the colors on the duck’s head. Well done…Jim

As I mentioned with the Bufflehead, you do a nice job of bringing out the subtle colors. I don’t think I’ve ever noticed those tones in a Scaup’s head before.

Max