Scaup Coming in

Hi All,

Shot this guy this winter. In post, I just cropped, set the white and black points, sharpened, reduced saturation in the blue water, and removed a sliver of another duck’s back in the LLC. This is a pretty healthy crop, so feather detail could be a bit better.

Techs:
D850
500mm f/4 II, handheld
1/2500
f/6.3
ISO 500

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below. @feelingruby

Thanks, Allen. I think you’re right that the blues can be tamed a bit more. Here’s a repost.

1 Like

Nice landing shot. It appears as if the scaup is eyeing the viewer as it lands. To my eye the wing detail looks pretty good. For me, the blue water tends to dominate the shot and I could see reducing the blue even more.

Very nice landing shot of the Scaup, Lyle. I like the “pose” and the eye contact. To my eye, it looks as if your second reduction of the blue gave the water a slight purple cast, but it could just be my eyes.

Yeah, I think I landed a little too magent-y. May take another pass when I have some time. For now, it’s on to the next!

Looks like a full flaps landing, Lyle! Nice in-flight capture with decent detail, especially considering a heavy crop.