Cactus arms

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I’m interested in any and all comments but primarily in people’s initial reactions.

4 Likes

Hi Don.

At first glance it’s a very graphical and minimalist image. And I like it. The lines of light created by the silhouettes are a very interesting subject.

My advice would be to increase the highlights a bit to give more attention and details to those silhouettes of light.
And maybe add a small vignette to center the attention.

Thank you for sharing.
Cheers

Joao, both of your suggestions make sense. I was a little too close to this one to see such things. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Don!!! :grinning: How nice to see you here.

My first reaction is a feeling of hopefulness. Those bright rim lights and the strong verticals of the cactus arms give this a very uplifting feeling, even though the histogram is mostly dark. I’m with João on raising the lights. Not sure how you processed this, but it seems like they should be a lot brighter. Anyway, love seeing your cacti here!

Thanks, Bonnie. I just said elsewhere that it’s a pleasure to see you but there’s no harm in saying it again, :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You two have convinced me. There are some technical nits with this version but it isn’t going to get any better.

2 Likes

I like the backlighting and the edge to edge patterns but I’ll admit the image is messing with my brain. I know these are cacti so my mind is thinking sharp and pointy and yet when I look at the image (especially when I view it large) I see that it’s all kind of soft. My poor brain doesn’t know what to think about this and actually it’s a pretty weird and interesting feeling. Thanks for giving my brain a workout! :slight_smile:

1 Like