Cactus Garden - Repost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The Huntington Gardens in San Marino, CA has an amazing cactus collection. This one bunch of cacti has caught my attention time and again as I walk by on the paths around the gardens.

Specific Feedback

I know this is pretty busy. I know the lighter area in the URC takes some of the attention away from the main feature cactus colony here, not to mention the twigs coming down from the top. It is unusual to have so many desert plants packed so closely together. I personally like the busy feel of this one, and the lighter URC gives this much more depth.

Technical Details

Canon 5DMiii, f5.6, 1/160 sec, iso 1250, -0.7 Exp Bias, 100 mm (24-205)

What an interesting image. They look alive. They almost seem to move. I’m not sure the blue agave adds much to the image though.

I agree with you @Igor_Doncov. The grounds keeper didn’t take kindly to my suggestion it be removed though. Maybe I’ll just sneak in there and clone it out when I get home. . . thank you. I actually supervised a couple of key volunteers for the Huntington several years back who worked with me at the LA County Agricultural Commissioner Office. Dr. Turney was a key player in putting together their Camelia garden area.

@Ed_Williams Ed. This is a very interesting image and must have been fascinating to see. For me the hero are the foreground cacti so I would make them a feature. I hope you don’t mind but I have done a quick reprocess. Darkened the BG, removed distraction RHS, lightened and sharpened the front cacti. Plus a selective colour adjustment there as well.

My wife thought it looked like an underwater photo.

Ed, this is very attractive, with the blue agave providing a nice contrast to the cluster of small “pillars”. The lighter background is just soft enough to add depth without distracting from the main subjects. My one thought is to shift the view slightly to the right to give the agave a bit of “breathing room”…assuming it’s available over there. Your dof choice works well.

@Igor_Doncov, @mark28 and @Mark_Seaver thank you for your help with this image. I tried to incorporate some of your suggestions and/or lower the impact of the blue agave plant a bit, without going too far in post processing. I slightl;y darkened the URC, slightly lightened the main group of cactus and toned down the blue agave. I hope this is a better overall image.